Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI mags

XB40

Just received some the new STI mags for my STI 9mm DVC. First observations are they are really rough on the brass. Looks like sharp edges on the feed lips are leaving considerable amount of scaring that may or may not polish out. If you don't reload it is a problem for someone else. I polished the edges of the feed lips and that seems to have made a difference. Anyone with similar experience and possible cure, I am more willing to listen.

55 minutes ago, XB40 said:

Just received some the new STI mags for my STI 9mm DVC. First observations are they are really rough on the brass. Looks like sharp edges on the feed lips are leaving considerable amount of scaring that may or may not polish out. If you don't reload it is a problem for someone else. I polished the edges of the feed lips and that seems to have made a difference. Anyone with similar experience and possible cure, I am more willing to listen.

Part of the tuning process is to stone the edges of the feed lips. 

I foolishly assumed after reading several posts stating "ran great out of the box" they had found the magic formula making tinkering, adjusting, bending unnessary to make the gun  run. I have a few more to go, and then back to the range.

46 minutes ago, XB40 said:

I foolishly assumed after reading several posts stating "ran great out of the box" they had found the magic formula making tinkering, adjusting, bending unnessary to make the gun  run. I have a few more to go, and then back to the range.

Understand your thoughts

BUT

Every mag I have ever received has been taken apart de-burred (polished the edges) cleaned and re-assembled.

They get stamped/cut when formed and it leaves rough edges.

Edited by jcc7x7

2 hours ago, XB40 said:

thank.

friend ordered same gun dvc limited  .problem was only with magazines that he ordered separately from the gun.

thank.
friend ordered same gun dvc limited  .problem was only with magazines that he ordered separately from the gun.
I just finished stoneing the edges. All are smooth. Range trip will give the results. All the practice rounds chamber. Not a sure thing, just an indicator. Test drive soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have one of the new ones. Never paid it much attention as it has ran great. About 500 Rds through it so far.

Now that you mention it, it is a little sharp on the edges of the feed lips.
Take a look at your fired brass. Mine looked like it had made many trips to the range. Really scratched up. It would chamber, but paid a price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shooters from club ordered new sti  guns after  shooting  cz shadow2 and tso  this year.

they like sti much more  . workmanship is very good and performance too. (better than cz tso)

the spare magazine that friend ordered make signs  on slide . the distributor replace it .

cost of  sti dvc limited in place i live - 5k usd and mag. 130 usd.

Indoor range today to test new mags. Ran very well, absolutely no problems. Brass was not scared or beaten up. None of the mags held the slide open which is no problem. Just passing that along. Loads were 147 gr zero JHP to OAL 1.165 over 3.2grs of Tightgroup.