Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Powder Measure Issue with H335

I was loading some 223 on my 550 and have issues with H335 and spillage.  Tried two different powder measures and have the same problem.  Seems to meter ok, but it comes out from somewhere.  

No issues with Tightgroup or Longshot on the same measures.  I know H335 is much finer.  Any thoughts??  

Is the powder dropping out the bottom of the funnel when you lift the handle up? If yes, then static cling is probably the culprit. Use a dryer anti-static sheet to wipe out the inside and outside of the measure, then cut a long strip from the sheet, run it down the inside of the hopper tube, fold the excess over the top and tape it in place. Then pour powder back into it. The fine folks at Hodgdon Powder provided this tip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 12:01 PM, dillon said:

Is the powder dropping out the bottom of the funnel when you lift the handle up? If yes, then static cling is probably the culprit. Use a dryer anti-static sheet to wipe out the inside and outside of the measure, then cut a long strip from the sheet, run it down the inside of the hopper tube, fold the excess over the top and tape it in place. Then pour powder back into it. The fine folks at Hodgdon Powder provided this tip.

This almost cured my problem when loading ball powder but not completely. On certain days when there was more static electricity in the air I would

still have a small amount of powder spillage.

I had to run a ground wire from the machine to a support pole in my cellar. End of problem!

I do not have to use the static sheets anymore.

Double check which powder bar is in. Having the small powder bar in trying to load 20+ grains of H335 will result in spillage. 

H335 measures better than any rifle powder I've used. Something is wonky with the powder drop, static or the bar or maybe goop in the funnel.

Darqsoull it is the small bar, from what I recall I couldn't get the large bar to throw a light enough charge.  At least that is what I recall when I tried it years ago.  Been using the small since then since it will throw approx 25 grains.

Thanks Dillon, I'll try the dryer sheet suggestion.

Edited by Blue Jacket

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:01 PM, dillon said:

Great tip!  I need to try this and see if it fixes my H335 spillage issue.