Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Generation Glock 9mm

spook

The title says it all I guess. I'd like to know if a "1 pin" Glock 17L can handle Major loads. I'm talking 160+ IPSC major loads here. I'd like to build a budget Open Gun, just for fun, but I'd like to shoot major with it.

The place for this info is in reloading:

I quote Nik Habicht:

"9x19 major has been USPSA legal for years --- for open division only. There used to be a minimum OAL length of 1.250 but that went away a few years ago. A lot of people are trying 9x19 major now --- brass cost is a major advantage. Some other people have a concern over brass from those open guns being picked up by brass scroungers, reloaded and the possibility of a case head separation with a case that's been reloaded to major a few times and is then fired out of a gun with less than ideal case support --- read Glock.

OTOH, 9x19 major (at the shorter OAL) has made the Glock (and others) a viable major 9 platform..... "

Look in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12740

David C

I wouldn't try it. Use the 2nd-Generation frame for something else. Bummer that your 17L won't fit in the IPSC box - it's a good Production or Limited gun in the USA.

3 pins and a supported-chamber barrel by someone like KKM is how to shoot 9Major. As it is I'm going to replace the locking block in my gun in about another 5000 rounds.

post-354-1121090518_thumb.jpg

There is another change in the Glock frame which is more subtle than the extra pin in the frame.

The steel inside the frame has been redesigned so that steel, rather than plastic, stops the interior of the front of the slide in rearward travel. When I last took the armorer's course, they told us that this is the reason the 357sig bbl is not in their armorer's price list/catalog. Only the new guns with this design change are rated for 357 sig, and Glock won't sell a 357 sig barral as a separate part until they have ascertained that is in not going into a gun nade before this design change.

Thanks guys.

David, thanks for the link, but I was asking this question specifically with the 17L 1-pin old frame in mind. The long barrel will make major easier than a G17, but I wondered if the one pin would hold up.

Eric, thanks I don't have a 17L yet, but I can get a couple of great deals here. I was thinking of just mounting a Docter and just have some fun in Open. I figured since there is some factory ammo out there that makes 145+ in a regular G17, making major in a 17L could be done.

Rob, thanks! That is very useful info!

I was planning on converting my 17C to an open gun but it is something like a Generation 2 1/2, single pin on the block but with grooves on the grip.

I really like the combination that Eric Neilsen has (I saw the gun in June at the TBPC match) with the DR sight "bullet proofed" and embedded in the slide.

Another case of missed opportunity by not having my "Benoverse" ID with me. How is that working for you Eric?

David C

You might drill the plastic to accept the pin, then install a two-pin block.

Hmmm that is very interesting, but raises a question in my walnut sized brain ;)

If a two pin block fits a 2nd gen frame by drilling a hole, won't it fit the 2nd gen frame with only one pin installed anyway?

Sorry to be dancing around this...

If I had a single locking block pinned Glock and wanted to shoot Major, I would drill the frame and add a 2 pin locking block. without that, I wouldn't shoot Major in the gun.

YMMV

Spook,

My understanding was that Glock designed the 9x19s around the Nato ball round. Winchester makes a 124 gr 9mm Nato round (RA9124N) that clocks a 158 pf out of my old one-pin G34. I have shot a generous number of these rounds out of the gun over the past few years, mostly using a 13 lb ISMI spring, with no breakages yet. I've long wondered whether this load would make IPSC major in a 6" barrel but haven't had a 17L available to test it in.

I like your idea and think a one-pin G17L w/dot might be a good cheap way of dabbling in open/major if you have access to suitable ammo. To be competitive in open, however, you would likely need a comp, which suggests a shorter slide and an even hotter load would follow, and then you are spending real money and undertaking the risks of an edgy home-brew load. It doesn't sound like you intend to go down the road that far though so I think you may be onto something.

Please keep us posted on your experiences if you go ahead with this. Lance

Sorry to be dancing around this...

If I had a single locking block pinned Glock and wanted to shoot Major, I would drill the frame and add a 2 pin locking block.  without that, I wouldn't shoot Major in the gun. 

YMMV

Thanks Flex. I saw no "dancing" though :)

Lance, your post reflects my feelings about this exactly. I know there is some factory ammo out there that could probably barely make major in a G17L, but that is very stout ammo. Home brew might get me there, but I wonder which way I should go then (heavy bullets or 124 grainers). I could of course also buy a slightly longer barrel (an Austrian company called IGB sells them up to 10"), but this would defeat the whole cheap gun thing (might as well buy a 2-pin new gun)

I'm giving this whole thing another thought and will probably go with a factory 2 pin frame.

Thanks for the replies!

The second pin in the locking block is there to limit rocking in the block as the barrel comes to stop in the full recoil state. in my exsteriences with open glocks I have used one pin frames with no problems. the one thing you must do is relieve the block on the top so it dosent ding the slide. thye main reson for needing the pin is slide speed. as stated the sig cartrige realy cycles quick.but in an open gun the slide is slowed by the comp . The realy big question you need to ask is will the slide hold up to 50,000 psi loads To make the guns run at the factory Glock takes a lot of weight out of the slide in placesthat can weeken thye structure of the locking lugs.It will probably work fine with standard loads but can get finicky with 9major loadin. as for barrel suport get a KKM barrel as I have worked with Keven on the chamber to specificly shoot major ammo.I recomend a 17 slide and barrel set up properly.Hopefully KKM will come out with ther new slide soon.

Johnnie

Been running a 17L (old single pin) in Open with 170+ PF loads for almost 3 years now. I have over 10k through it so far, all 124's at 1375-1380fps. The bbl is Barsto and although I agree with the iissue of changing to a fully supported bbl, I disagree with the stated necessity of the extra pin in the frame.

Go for it, it works fine, and yes, the melted in Docter/JPoint rocks!

--

Regards,