Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock II - trigger upgrade

reaper1

Hi,

I went through thread:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/242661-stock-2-vs-stock-2-xtreme-worth-it/

and from my understanding I can/should change (to upgrade the trigger):

- hammer (Xtreme Titan Hammer)

- disconnector (interrupter - this is the same, isn't it?)

- sear

- trigger and sear springs

- hammer spring

Is it all? (what about Xtreme Trigger Bar?)

I already changed:

- Xtreme Sear Lever

- Xtreme Hammer Spring - Model : Medium

- Recoil Spring - Model : 56AA - 10 lbs

- Xtreme Firing Pin Spring - Model : Medium

Since I replaced the parts mentioned above, should I still replace hammer spring to Patriot Defense one?

If YES, then which one? There are: 10,12,13,14 and 15.5 LB.

Trigger spring would be:

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/patriot-defense-parts-tanfoglio-/550-patriot-defense-tanfoglio-optimized-trigger-return-spring-reduced-power.html?search_query=patriot+defense&results=7

and sear spring:

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/patriot-defense-parts-tanfoglio-/549-patriot-defense-tanfoglio-optimized-sear-spring-reduced-power.html?search_query=patriot+defense&results=7

Correct?

AND of course BOLO Interrupter:

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/patriot-defense-parts-tanfoglio-/544-patriot-defense-tanfoglio-optimized-bolo-interrupter.html?search_query=interrupter&results=1

Would it be all I need to upgrade my trigger?

PS. All obove changes are legal in production division? I'm not so sure about BOLO Interrupter and springs provided by Patriot Defense

Edited by reaper1

1 minute ago, Nathanb said:

Do you shoot uspsa or ipsc?  Different rules for prod guns. Uspsa we polish the shit out of everything. Ipsc that’s no bueno 

IPSC Production Division

PS There is also Xtreme Trigger Bar which can be replaced, but no one mentioned this:

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/xtreme-frame-parts/349-trigger-bar.html?search_query=trigger+bar&results=17

Ipsc, you NEED to keep the "medium" spring to be legal. The extreme trigger bar has chrome plating and should be slicker than the factory bar. After a thousand rounds or so, you should be able to use the "light" hammer and firing pin return spring.

I am not sure, but doubt bolo is ipsc legal.

Sadly, you can't polish (legally). If you could  ... shining up the pins and holes that the hammer, strut and interruptor use would be helpful. Also polishing the HOLE in the frame the hammer spring goes in and the HOLE the plunger (that lifts the trigger bar)  goes in would help.

55 minutes ago, reaper1 said:

IPSC Production Division

PS There is also Xtreme Trigger Bar which can be replaced, but no one mentioned this:

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/xtreme-frame-parts/349-trigger-bar.html?search_query=trigger+bar&results=17

PD Springs ok. All Xtreme parts ok. PD bolo (unfortunately) not in IPSC... But with EGD Xtreme parts you can have a real nice trigger!

Ok, so bottom line

I can replace all parts to Xtreme (hammer, interruptor, trigger bar), plus Springs (trigger and sear) to Patriot Defense (or even do not change those springs at all) and I will have exactly the same triggers as in Tanfoglio Xtreme and better looking gun at the same time, right?

Basically, yes.  i believe the extreme comes with the "meduim" spring set and the normal stock has a stronger one. But, tanfo changes things so often, who knows for sure?

I would definitely use PD springs if at all possible.

3 hours ago, johnbu said:

Basically, yes.  i believe the extreme comes with the "meduim" spring set and the normal stock has a stronger one. But, tanfo changes things so often, who knows for sure?

Sooo right. I run a light EGD Xtreme spring (new gun) and thought trigger was ok. Friend of mine runs 15,5 PD (highly polished gun) and today we tested..no difference... Maybe PD Spring even better...

17 hours ago, johnbu said:

You mean Trigger and Sear springs OR also Hammer and Firing Pin springs?

If also I should change Hammer Spring (I already have the one from Xtreme: medium) then which one should I choose (10, 12, 13, 14, 15.5 lb)?

Firing Pin I also already have from Xtreme (also Medium)

11 hours ago, reaper1 said:

You mean Trigger and Sear springs OR also Hammer and Firing Pin springs?

If also I should change Hammer Spring (I already have the one from Xtreme: medium) then which one should I choose (10, 12, 13, 14, 15.5 lb)?

Firing Pin I also already have from Xtreme (also Medium)

The PD Optimized springs (trigger return, sear) will help reduce trigger force without impacting ignition reliability.

The Optimized firing pin return spring is lighter than the extreme and i strongly recommend it. It allows more force to hit the primers.  Hammer springs are tricky. Before you start reducing spring power, first ensure your ammo passes "plunk test". Search for it here if unfamiliar.  Then make sure the slide easily goes into battery and locks tight without hesitation. I recommend 1000 rounds fired to smooth out the gun (because you can't polish). Then put in the PD firing pin return spring and 15.5 or 14# hammer spring (buy both, try them both). They will greatly reduce or eliminate the force stack at the end of the DA stroke.

Because you can't legally use a bolo, you can trim off one full coil from the plunger spring. You can also buy reduced power springs from Henning. That will reduce trigger pull slightly. Bolo works best with full power plunger spring, so bolo users.... Don't Trim!

I understood all except "plunger spring", I'm not sure what part is this.

Is it the same as Trigger Bar Guide?

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/xtreme-parts-/356-trigger-bar-guide.html

PS. Plunk Test - passed :) The round makes very nice plunk sound when dropped into the chamber, plus it can be easily rotated inside.

I already fired >3000 rounds, so I guess the gun is smoothed out.

Edited by reaper1

Yes, that is the part.

Were you able to polish (wink wink), polish that part. ALL of it. To mirror bright. ESPECIALLY the rod, inside the hole, the spring and the hole in the frame.

Compressing the "head" of that part normally has a feel like using a zipper. Removing that "zipper feel" makes the trigger much smoother.

Thanks for all info.

I prepared a list of parts that I should replace, but I'm not sure if all of them are really needed to be replaced:

- Hammer (xtreme titan)

- Hammer Spring (Patriot Defense: 15.5 lb and 14 lb)

- Firing Pin (xtreme) together with Xtreme Firing Pin Safety - I'm not sure if I need these parts (some say that because of Titan Hammer I also have to replace Firing Pin)

- due to above also Firing Pin Spring (Patriot Defense)

- Xtreme Interruptor

- Trigger spring (Patriot Defense)

- Sear spring (Patriot Defense)

- Trigger Bar (Xtreme)

- Trigger Bar Guide (Xtreme)

- hammer strut (this one I'm not sure if I need new one or the strut can be used from currently installed hammer?)

- hammer strut pin - as above

- hammer interruptor pin - as above

Recently you helped me with Failure To Feed issue and I really don't want to jump from one issue to another - this is why I'm asking questions.

If you could help me ones again, I'd appreciate it.

1 hour ago, reaper1 said:

- Firing Pin (xtreme) together with Xtreme Firing Pin Safety - I'm not sure if I need these parts (some say that because of Titan Hammer I also have to replace Firing Pin)-

If your oem pin looks like the one on the right then changing it can save your sanity. If it looks like the one on the left I dunno, I measure the extreme pin as 0.006" longer and about 1 grain heavier (memory says 99.something vs 100.something on my powder scale) than the oem pin on the left. 

About 3 weeks ago PD said they would have some of their design pins ready in 4-8 weeks. 

5a26b3d3f3660_firingpins2.jpg.01851e94b2e82911a491c0b54bed200f.jpg

2 hours ago, reaper1 said:

Thanks for all info.

I prepared a list of parts that I should replace, but I'm not sure if all of them are really needed to be replaced:

- Hammer (xtreme titan)

Titan is worth it if you want to clean your SINGLE action up a little bit.

- Hammer Spring (Patriot Defense: 15.5 lb and 14 lb)

Good choice(s)

- Firing Pin (xtreme) together with Xtreme

Skip it. Run the factory one.

Firing Pin Safety - I'm not sure if I need these parts (some say that because of Titan Hammer I also have to replace Firing Pin)

You will need this because of the Titan hammer’s repoisitioned hooks. It lifts the plunger less. You need this longer plunger to match up to the Titan & One-piece sear combination.

- due to above also Firing Pin Spring (Patriot Defense)

Not due to the above. Run this in a gun where all the action parts stay stock: It is as light as you can get without causing issues in your gun with stuck firing pins and the like.

- Xtreme Interruptor

Skip it. Run the factory one, or a BOLO. This is your factory disconnector but refinished for the non-USA crowd who can’t polish their internals.

- Trigger spring (Patriot Defense)

- Sear spring (Patriot Defense)

100% suggested.

- Trigger Bar (Xtreme)

- Trigger Bar Guide (Xtreme)

- hammer strut (this one I'm not sure if I need new one or the strut can be used from currently installed hammer?)

Skip all of these. Re-use your current hammer strut.

- hammer strut pin - as above

- hammer interruptor pin - as above

Not needed. Use your original pins.

If your oem pin looks like the one on the right then changing it can save your sanity. If it looks like the one on the left I dunno, I measure the extreme pin as 0.006" longer and about 1 grain heavier (memory says 99.something vs 100.something on my powder scale) than the oem pin on the left. 
About 3 weeks ago PD said they would have some of their design pins ready in 4-8 weeks. 

I have some numbers for you:

Stock Firing Pin: 99.538 Grains, 2.6011 Inches

Xtreme Firing Pin: 101.128 Grains, 2.6070 Inches

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm using this one (below is my firing pics from 2 angles), so this is one on the left ON YOUR PIC.

This IS NOT Xtreme firing pin, but is good enough not to change it?

bCnR87D.jpg

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Titan is worth it if you want to clean your SINGLE action up a little bit.

Good choice(s)

Skip it. Run the factory one.

You will need this because of the Titan hammer’s repoisitioned hooks. It lifts the plunger less. You need this longer plunger to match up to the Titan & One-piece sear combination.

Not due to the above. Run this in a gun where all the action parts stay stock: It is as light as you can get without causing issues in your gun with stuck firing pins and the like.

Skip it. Run the factory one, or a BOLO. This is your factory disconnector but refinished for the non-USA crowd who can’t polish their internals.

100% suggested.

Skip all of these. Re-use your current hammer strut.

Not needed. Use your original pins.

RE: "You will need this because of the Titan hammer’s repoisitioned hooks. It lifts the plunger less. You need this longer plunger to match up to the Titan & One-piece sear combination."

We are talking about Firing Pin SAFETY?

On Eric's www it says (about this safety):

" +0.3mm to be used with Xtreme Firing Pin. "

And in description of Xtreme Firing Pin:

" New Tanfoglio Xtreme Firing Pin, especially designed to work with firing pin safety! "

So I assume this xtreme firing pin safety will only work with xtreme firing pin, am I'm right?

PS. I already have installed Xtreme Sear and it works (if it makes any difference).

18 minutes ago, reaper1 said:

I'm using this one (below is my firing pics from 2 angles), so this is one on the left ON YOUR PIC.

This IS NOT Xtreme firing pin, but is good enough not to change it?

I'm guessing that the answer is yes keep it, I have that pin in my back up gun & the xtreme in my primary gun. Suspect performance is pretty much identical.

That said, when the PD pins become available I am definitely going to try one of those, I think they are something like + 13 grains and a bit longer so you would think there would be some difference. 

54 minutes ago, reaper1 said:

Yes. The need for the extended firing pin block (or safety) comes from the presence of the Titan hammer. Run a Titan hammer, your one-piece sear, and you will need to perform only minor fitting at most. This combination is a drop-in installation for the majority of Tanfoglio DA/SA guns, but tolerances vary widely.

54 minutes ago, reaper1 said:

" New Tanfoglio Xtreme Firing Pin, especially designed to work with firing pin safety! "

Marketing perhaps. Or whatever. Run a Henning, Extreme or factory firing pin. The gun and the safety won’t know which one you’ve got installed.

37 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

That said, when the PD pins become available I am definitely going to try one of those, I think they are something like + 13 grains and a bit longer so you would think there would be some difference. 

I had one of PD’s initial batch of firing pins in my gun. Whether I ran that one or the factory pin, my reliability with a given hammer spring and ammo combination was unchanged.

Sure, the gun would launch pencils a bit higher. But it didn’t show up as a reliability increase in the real world - I wasn’t able to drop my hammer spring weight down even a single pound due to the PD Optimized firing pin.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

RE: "You will need this because of the Titan hammer’s repoisitioned hooks. It lifts the plunger less. You need this longer plunger to match up to the Titan & One-piece sear combination."

So I assume this xtreme firing pin safety will only work with xtreme firing pin, am I'm right?
PS. I already have installed Xtreme Sear and it works (if it makes any difference).

The extreme firing pin safety block will work on any extended firing pin, regardless of manufacture.

Generally, you will change the firing pin block to the extended version if you are using a one piece sear.

To test the function of the firing pin block, pull the trigger (with the overtravel screw off so you don’t get a weird results) and thumb the hammer back. Use a punch to depress the firing pin; it should go in all the way. Next, try to push the firing pin with the hammer at Single Action with no finger in the trigger, it should not move really far.

Because of the longer length of the extended firing pin; the extended firing pin block offers a different timing than the standard block (by length of the firing pin block) to get it out of the way.

Have you function tested the safety on the gun yet?

I have one piece sear with stock fire pin block (safety) and all is working correctly.

But I don't have yet a Titan Hammer and as MemphisMechanic said a combination of One Piece Sear + Titan Hammer cause the need of install Xtreme Firing Pin Safety.

My concern is that Xtreme Firing Pin is longer than standard Firing Pin and seems like this difference causes the need of Safety Block replacement - but I'm not sure anymore.

Edited by reaper1