Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 RX for Carry Optics?

Jetskidawg

Shot a 226 in L10 for a good bit; probably 35k rounds in the space of a year. No issues with the durability of the platform.

For me my support hand slightly depresses the decocker while shooting; nothing a dremel couldn't fix, but that probably made the gun illegal for Production.

Wollf (I think) makes a reduced power hammer spring "kit" that helped out a lot with that DA trigger.

Doesn't address the CO part of your question but the platform was solid.

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

If you're looking to eventually step up to a 320 X-Five, why not go with a 320RX?  I think the new mags would be compatible, and you'd be ramping up with a similar trigger system.

I'd either wait for the x-five or go with the p226.  Not looking to run one then another unless I find a rich uncle...?   I'm sure the 320rx is great, heck, Max won nats with that platform.

I've never shot a DA/SA, but it seems to me that if you're gonna go DA/SA, then go with a Tanfo or CZ and have it milled or choose a dovetail mount.  I have never seen anybody choose a 226 for CO.  Frankly, I've never seen it for ANY division.

At least the 320 X-Five is the heaviest striker gun I know of, especially if you go with a tungsten guide rod.

9 hours ago, CHLChris said:

I've never shot a DA/SA, but it seems to me that if you're gonna go DA/SA, then go with a Tanfo or CZ and have it milled or choose a dovetail mount.  I have never seen anybody choose a 226 for CO.  Frankly, I've never seen it for ANY division.

At least the 320 X-Five is the heaviest striker gun I know of, especially if you go with a tungsten guide rod.

DA/SA just takes some getting used to.  I had a Tanfo for production so that doesn't concern me.  You completely understand why I'm looking into the P226 and X-Five, weight.  I've read all the threads about what it takes to get a Tanfo in just barely under, as that was what I was looking into before learning about the X-Five.  I liked the out-of-the box readiness.  Then I saw the P226 RX while checking in with a shop where I'm on an X-Five waiting list, thus the question of the forum.  Your point is good about not seeing the P226's out there, and I've observed the same.  Wondering why.

5 hours ago, Jetskidawg said:

Your point is good about not seeing the P226's out there, and I've observed the same.  Wondering why.

Mainly lack of good aftermarket support for the P-series and cost.  I see a few people running 226's (mostly Legions) in Limited to get trigger time because it's a duty/carry pistol.  And most competitors (especially if they have tried a CZ/Tanfo DA trigger) will try the DA on a standard 226 and instantly want a trigger job done, which just adds to the cost of an already expensive gun.  I sometimes see a 226 in Production, but since the 320 came out, it's extremely rare.  As for the RX models in CO, a lot of people don't like the Romeo sight, and I don't know if the Springer adapter plates for the 320 will work for the P-series.

You may want to consider the option of a 226 Legion.  They don't have an RX model, but you could go with a dovetail mount or have it milled for whatever sight you prefer.  The trigger will be better than a standard 226.

I admit I do not have a Romeo1.  The biggest complaints I've heard firsthand from users I know are that the 2MOA dot is too small and it can wash out in bright sunlight.  I haven't heard any problems related to breakage or failures.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to consider the option of a 226 Legion.  They don't have an RX model, but you could go with a dovetail mount or have it milled for whatever sight you prefer.  The trigger will be better than a standard 226.

Why would the Legion be any different than any other P226 with an SRT kit installed? The only mechanical difference is a Gray Guns trigger and smaller controls from the P224.

14 hours ago, PatJones said:

Why would the Legion be any different than any other P226 with an SRT kit installed? The only mechanical difference is a Gray Guns trigger and smaller controls from the P224.

The action parts are polished, so the trigger pull should be better than a standard 226.  It will come with G-10 grips (IMHO, much better in any texture than stock plastic ).  The frame is cut like an X-5, with am undercut at the trigger guard and a reduced beavertail.  And then, as you said, it has the P-SAIT trigger and SRT kit.

Edited by JAFO

I think the P320 X5 would perform better than the RX. My thoughts on this are based on three personal observations.  When tuned properly the X5 trigger produces a lower pull weight with a consistent pull.  Barrel length and weight also go to the X5, & with the addition of a tungsten guide rod would feel more balanced due to the weight insert in the frame.  And finally the X5 is more likely to provide a round count advantage for 140 magazine extensions.

• 2 years later...
On 11/13/2020 at 6:37 AM, RIIID said:

Canyon Creek was the only manufacture who made a solid tungsten guide rod for the XD/m. There was a replacement for the factory sized rod 3/8" diameter in two different lengths one was factory length and the second one was made for the XD Tactical that would also worked for the 5.25 which was around 5 ounces in weight. A 5/16" diameter rod was developed to use 1911 recoil springs which was around 3.25 ounces. There was also rods for for the XD Tactical and Service models. Manufacture was suspended due to lack of demand.

Rich