Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding issue with STi Edge

abigger04

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue I'm having with my STi Edge? It is a Brazos HP Edge 5".  All 4 of my mags seem to exhibit this issue with feeding.  It may happen once or twice per full magazine where the case on the expended round fails to eject.  It feels like it is stuck on the next round in the magazine. I'm new to the STi platform and not sure if this is an extractor issue, recoil spring, or something else.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?

IMG_1707.JPG

Is is factory loads or your reloads. I had a similar problem with my edge. Was loading long 1.190 for my comp edge and got a new edge any didn’t feed it looked like what yours is doing. Had to lower oal length way down to 1.15 or lower. Anything over 1.15 jammed up. 

31 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Is is factory loads or your reloads. I had a similar problem with my edge. Was loading long 1.190 for my comp edge and got a new edge any didn’t feed it looked like what yours is doing. Had to lower oal length way down to 1.15 or lower. Anything over 1.15 jammed up. 

Factory loads and reloads. The factory loads were remington 180 gr and federal 180 gr. 

You’ll have to take it out. If you’re unsure how to disassemble, there’s lots of YouTube videos for 2011.  If you have an Aftec, it will have a “hood” that will be loaded with two tiny springs. Regular ones will be one-piece. 

40 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

Factory loads and reloads. The factory loads were remington 180 gr and federal 180 gr. 

Check oal. Check bullets in barrel with barrel out of pistol. See if barrel will not let billets go all the way in. Also cycle a mag ant extract the bullets. When mine would get stuck extractor would not grab and pull out. Had to push out with stick from muzzle. 

This does not appear to be a feeding issue to me but a failure to extract in which case COAL would not matter. The fired case is not being pulled from the chamber and into contact with the  ejector. I would say extractor tension should be checked. I would first remove the extractor and clean, the extractor tunnel can get debris in it and it can effect how the extractor works.

You have a standard 1911 extractor.  

The tension of the extractor is set by bending the extractor inward.

Note if you bend it and the tension on the case doesn't change you may need to reduce the inside radius of the pad that is behind the hook.

The way to check it is the following:

remove the slide from the frame, take the barrel out and slip a round under the extractor and centered on the firing pin hole.

holding the slide parallel to the ground you should be able to rotate the slide 360 degrees and the round stays put.

if it won't stay put you need to adjust the extractor until it does.

Thank you all for the comments. It was all very helpful. Admittedly this was my first time dealing with an extractor issue. 

After watching a few YouTube videos on how to remove the extractor (it was not as difficult as I would have expected), i removed it and cleaned the extractor tunnel. It was absolutely filthy and flush with gunk. Couldn’t tell you the last time it was cleaned. Cleaned the extractor and the hood appears to be normal. I bent it inward slightly as i observed in a few videos and ran a few rounds through as a bench test. It appears to be much improved. I will update when I can test it in live fire.