Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Check

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a $20 endoscope from Amazon that has a 3' cable. I wrapped it around the case feeder leg and routed the camera into the powder check rod port in the tool head. I then mounted a tablet on an inexpensive flexible mount I screwed to my bench. I think I spent $40 total without the tablet I already had. I reload standing up and the camera keeps me from having to lean forward to look into the case.

That happened to me too. I turned off the press light and just used the light from my endoscope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ff8cee154212a950d1e8f6f4b2490b97.jpg

What I️ can see. I️ can see powder in there but I️ don’t really see the level. Honestly it’s not that big of a deal since I️ can still see the powder pretty easily looking at the press. I’ve been using the camera to look for tipped cases or bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brass in the picture is to show clarity. The endoscope has a light on the end around the camera. The tablet is a 10" but a 7" would work fine too. The mount screws to the work bench next to the Strong mount but I could cut the mount down and screw it to the Strong Mount if I wanted to. 

press cameraredux.jpg

Camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3SP85V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tablet Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007283EZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by 858

To attach the camera and monitor, I simply used some Velcro hook and loop tape. One side of each of the hook and the loop is pretty good adhesive, so just stuck a bit of hook to the camera, the monitor and then corresponding lengths to the press of loop. I put the camera on the toolhead flat side, and the monitor on the front beam of the press.  This way you don't have to modify the press (i.e drill holes).

44 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Is there a budget camera with ZOOM? I would like to fill the monitor with as much of the case mouth as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The camera I linked to above can zoom in the Android software. 

5 hours ago, crispyrice said:

Dumb question but that wouldn’t void the press would it?

Nope. 

30 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I'm still amazed at how clear your camera is Youngeyes. Does it look the same when loading 9mm? I wonder if it's just an issue of the smaller diameter.

That is 9mm. :D

Just now, Youngeyes said:

Nope. 

That is 9mm. :D

Hmmmm. I'm really perplexed now. Your picture looks so much better than mine! Maybe just different powder types? I am using a Hornady press so maybe that's different enough, but I just don't see how I can position the camera to look into the case without interfering with the press.

9 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Hmmmm. I'm really perplexed now. Your picture looks so much better than mine! Maybe just different powder types? I am using a Hornady press so maybe that's different enough, but I just don't see how I can position the camera to look into the case without interfering with the press.

I think that you have too much light. That big light of yours is causing the case interior to be in too much shadow. Shut off some light and see what happens.Let the light from the camera be the one to illuminate the interior of the case.  I'm also not familiar with your press. Maybe a small bracket to move the camera  down and closer. 

On 11/2/2017 at 12:44 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

I would actually get this monitor, looks to be the same one Youngeyes is using.

https://www.amazon.com/Padarsey-Backlight-Serveillance-Satellite-Equipment/dp/B06X1BKZVC/ref=pd_sbs_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06X1BKZVC&pd_rd_r=Z8QHM65XQTQP3ZTWCX40&pd_rd_w=FPvUr&pd_rd_wg=glCSb&psc=1&refRID=Z8QHM65XQTQP3ZTWCX40

Much higher resolution, and the camera will be the limiting factor, not like the other monitor.

The problem with that monitor is it has the back up lines on the screen.  I know the ad doesn't show them, but trust me, I just hooked up mine and they are there, with no way to make then go away.

30 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

The problem with that monitor is it has the back up lines on the screen.  I know the ad doesn't show them, but trust me, I just hooked up mine and they are there, with no way to make then go away.

You just cut the wire and then the back up lines go away.

On 11/12/2017 at 7:02 AM, Youngeyes said:

I think that you have too much light. That big light of yours is causing the case interior to be in too much shadow. Shut off some light and see what happens.Let the light from the camera be the one to illuminate the interior of the case.  I'm also not familiar with your press. Maybe a small bracket to move the camera  down and closer. 

Hmm. I turned off my light, and I can't see into the case. Only when I start to raise the ram then I can see into the case. Hmm, I guess it's possible that the LNL has longer travel with the ram setting the case further from the camera, but that seems a little odd to me. I'll experiment with holding the camera closer, but I believe that didn't work too well either.

I honestly got the camera to see if cases tipped over. I've never really had issues seeing the powder level looking over, and it is waaaaay easier with the KMS2 light. It's absolutely incredible how bright this light is.

5 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

71ADsHhqn0L._SL1200_.jpg

The lines are part of the camera, not the monitor. So if you bought camera I linked, you can remove the back up lines OR undo the mirror.

My camera is similar, I'll try it.  My monitor allows me to swap between normal/mirror and upside down.

7 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

71ADsHhqn0L._SL1200_.jpg

The lines are part of the camera, not the monitor. So if you bought camera I linked, you can remove the back up lines OR undo the mirror.

This picture is worth a thousand words - all of them "Thanks"!  My camera and monitor came with absolutely no instructions concerning this.  I'm good to go now! 

I think I may be missing something here.  With your camera set up, you still have to "look" at at the screen as opposed to the case to make sure there is powder in there.  Unless you have a bullet feeder that prevents you from seeing the case, why not just look into the case as you place the bullet?

OP, I understand your sitting down while loading and can't see into the case.