Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-Match (SA Trigger) NOT going to slide lock

DenverDave

I have been breaking in my new P-Match for the last 2 weeks....about 500 rounds through it.
It does not want to consistently go to slide lock.

Tried factory ammo and  my loads still same problem.....50% it will lock ...very inconsistent. 

Mags are all brand new, plenty of tension on the springs.

Tried a lighter recoil spring....no improvement PLUS cycle rate on the slide is too slow.

Tonight I shot an IDPA match, used factory SIG 115gr ammo.....I got ZERO slide locks.

Any ideas on this one???

Move your thumb.

(Some jerk always has to make sure this is the first reply...)

On a more helpful note:

Does it lock back manipulating a dry gun by hand?

When it fails in live fire, where is the follower in relation to the slide stop when the gun is empty and you hold it open to look?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

You can manipulate it back to slide lock.

I believe the problem is that since it is a metal slide contacting a plastic rail in the frame,

it does not like lubrication (at least gun oil or synthetic grease) that seems to gum it up.
Took everything apart, dried it off ....seems smoother.

So I am wondering now about a way to polish the surface a bit.....and maybe going to something like silicone for lube.
Thoughts on this?

Just to clarify for my mind...

It DOES lock back 100% when manually cycled with an empty magazine?

If so, the user thumb hitting the lever during recoil is one option. Shooting left hand only will show if it's the case.

Another option is that the slide isn't fully cycling under recoil. Remove the barrel and recoil spring and see if it's sticking anywhere. If it's smooth cycling, the recoil spring could be too strong, too long or somehow binding.

Your assessment could also be correct. I haven't played with these new plastic tanfos, so i don't have a feel for how much trouble they can give!

The P-Match for the most part is the standard TF competition frame so my thumb placement is always under the slide release.

I cleaned everything off, tried some 100% Pure Silicon Oil which seems to slick it up nicely.....up to just past the point where the lugs unlock then it 

become quit hard.  Pulled the slide ...right side rail ...nice and smooth....left side rail is pretty rough.

EAA has requested I send it in for inspection.

I am still open to any ideas you guys might have.

Thanks

18 hours ago, DenverDave said:

The P-Match for the most part is the standard TF competition frame so my thumb placement is always under the slide release

1 hour ago, drivenagain said:

hows accuracy and recoil from less weight?

@DenverDave, the lighter gun is going to recoil differently and with more felt recoil. Don't blow off the left hand only test.  and it's good practice.

BUT... with that said, i would slather the frame rails and slide rails with Blue Magic polish and hand rack 1-200 times while  pushing down the slide HARD. Then 1-200 while pulling up hard.  Then pushing to the left and right. 

Scrub and clean that all out, lube rails and give it a go. However, if you are going to send it to EAA, don't do it.

When I am wrong....I am willing to Man Up on it.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS GUN.

I put about 400 rounds through it to break it in. Half of those where from the low ready position.....no problems with slide lock.

The other half with holster draws.....had some problems with slide lock.

Shot a IPDA match on the other night, I did not run my normal hand loads, I ran SIG 115gr  factory loads...(just in case my loads were the problem)
100% of the time....no slide lock.

Took it to the range this morning....put a camera pointing at my hands....here is the answer to the problem.
The frame on the P-Match is just a little wider than a Stock II or III.
Because the safety is low profile and has a shallow bevel on it....I can not hit it with my right thumb bringing it up on target. (DANG midget sized hands)
So I am sweeping the safety with my left thumb which puts  my final placement of my left thumb right on the slide release.  
Which did feel weird ....(this is not a problem with my Stock II or Stock III)

So as embarrassing to say.... the problem is not the gun....it is user error.

I will say  #1) the left rail is still rough to me ...so I plan go polish it a bit   #2) All my other TF's run my favorite load fine  (3.1gr of Ramshot Competition under 147gr RN)...

I am thinking because of the rough spot...this load will run OK 90% of the time....return to battery is a little draggy..... so hoping a polish job will fix that.

There was a question here in the forum about the accuracy of this gun....I COULD NOT BE ANY HAPPIER about the accuracy.

So I want to be clear....the gun is not the problem.

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Not when the hammer is down on every start.

Obviously, @MemphisMechanic is a pro at the empty chamber "Israeli Start" and can draw and rack quick as a blink! Lol.

Hmmm, while a joke, is that even legal? I would think so... but never concidered it.

37 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Obviously, @MemphisMechanic is a pro at the empty chamber "Israeli Start" and can draw and rack quick as a blink! Lol.

Hmmm, while a joke, is that even legal? I would think so... but never concidered it.

at least they also contributed  something to ipsc :lol:

2 hours ago, johnbu said:

Confirmed yes they are legal for IDPA. (actually that is what I bought it for)
James Jones from J&L Gunsmithing runs one in CDP  (btw....James had an EXCELLENT holster made for these....love mine)
I am running mine in ESP. 

As for accuracy.....I have not shot a match of any kind for about 1.5yrs (because of work schedule)...Stage 1 on Sunday night IDPA indoor.....shot with my P-Match only 1 point down ..missed winning the stage overall by 5 seconds (1 second for being a point down + 4 seconds for screwing with my slide stop issue and just being slow)  stage 2 was 2 points down but old fart slow.....stage 3....basic disaster......I sucked on that one. First 2 stages is the best I have ever done...I attribute it to the P-Match's accuracy.

NOTE for those looking at these for purchase......The SA Trigger with magwell was originally named the P-Match Pro (even says it on the box).....but after the first shipment went out EAA got in to some big debate with Italy......so NOW ....the SA trigger/magwell model is the P-Match and the DA/SA with rail and NO magwell is called the P-Match Pro.

Edited by DenverDave

On 10/13/2017 at 6:46 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Not when the hammer is down on every start.

Man, you got me right confused.

Can't get my head around why anyone would start with the hammer down on a SA gun? But I didn't even know SA guns were legal for production. I assumed this was a limited gun.

Back to the rule book for me I guess!

9 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

Man, you got me right confused.

Can't get my head around why anyone would start with the hammer down on a SA gun? But I didn't even know SA guns were legal for production. I assumed this was a limited gun.

Back to the rule book for me I guess!

I am using it in IDPA under ESP ....as I understand it...you could not use this one in USPSA Production...but you could in Limited (but since mine is a 9mm...it would be in minor)