Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Comp-Tac beltfeed mag carrier system legal for USPSA production ?

Chrishoward1364

Hi there guys, the the title says most of it, I'm relatively new to USPSA and having shot limited thus far am likely switching over to production. I have been looking for solutions to consolidate space for mag carriers, but I am unclear on the legality of the Comp-tac Beltfeed mag carrier system, which looks like a good use of space. I have read the USPSA rules, and I dont have the relevant measurements on the mag carrier system to verify legality. 

I have had a CRO essentially say it could be legal, but she was unable to provide a definite answer.  I was curious if anyone out there is using it, and could confirm it was in fact legal.

Edited by Chrishoward1364

Comp Tac says

" Comp-Tac has designed the Belt Feed in legal in USPSA Competitive Shooting Organization for most individuals, however, results can vary based on body type and belt used. See USPSA Rules Here. The Belt Feed is NOT legal for IDPA."

The rule is that the pistol and mag carriers have to be a maximum of 2" from the inside of the inner belt or the body. (Appendix D of the USPSA rulebook) I can see where that might be useful for Production or L-10, but I think it could be confusing when grabbing for a mag. I haven't used one so that's just conjecture.

Thanks Bkreutz, I don't think it would be a concern, but its a valid point to consider. I know the measurements that are legal, I just don't have the measurements on the carrier itself. Hopefully someone here has tried it and knows firsthand. 

Thanks for the comment and the opinion.

I still have one on my belt, and if I ever make it to a match again, I'll use it.  The only time I'd worry about legality, is if I was using a Glock 20/21 or gun with similar wide mags.  Even then it'll probably make the limit, but I'd want to confirm by measuring.

For the regular 9 and .40 mags, it easily meets the measurement limits..........

I had one and returned it.  It’s not as fast as traditional mag pouches.  I’ve never seen one used by any serious competitors.  If their was any advantage those guys would use it.  If you need more space, consider a pouch that has the bullets facing out like the ghost.  There are a lot of shooters that have gone that route.

I was never able to clock a difference in reload speed between a stand alone first pouch and the first pouch on the Belt-Feed.  So for any kind of a standards stage, it was a wash for me.....

On field courses, I wasn't trying for standing reloads, so there was plenty of time to get to the next mag, because I was moving....

I did notice a difference in pulling the mag from the 1 or 3 position as opposed to pulling from the 2 or 4 position -- but only in practice.  Never noticed it on a field course.....

For production it solved my problem - in not putting the single pouches at the 5 and 6 position too far back.  (Actually since I'm a one platform/belt/holster kind of guy, that means I also shot it in Limited and Open and it worked much the same there.)

That said, if I was running a different gun for any of the high-cap divisions, I'd probably set up a separate belt with maybe 3-4 single pouches.

After quite a bit of research, I concluded that given my Sasquatch paws, and... shall we say less than light steps in movement courses the retention, and spacing might not be best for me. also, I intend to run carry optics, and PCC as fun jaunts out from the 10 round domain so it makes more sense to stay with something along more familiar lines. I decided to try out the Ben Stoeger method with the Ghost 360s.

I still like the general idea, and could definitely see trying it one day if I'm at a match with a user. 

Thanks everyone, for your advice and replies, if I do get my hands on one I might come back and give some feedback on it.