Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tested my gun at range but it failed.

bbg

I put together a 2011, tested the gun with snap caps and it feeds and ejects fine. I could pull the trigger with no problem. I then lubed the gun and went to the range.

I loaded one round from magazine but the trigger was stuck. I ejected the round and removed the magazine, put another one in the chamber and closed the slide. Same thing, cannot pull the trigger.

I picked up a spent casing from the floor and put it in. I have no problem pulling the trigger. The casing I picked up was too tight and it was stuck. I could cock the gun and pull the trigger. Since it was stuck I went back home to get the casing out. It seems that casing was just too tight. I whacked the back of the gun and the slide opened.  I had to pry the casing out.

I have two questions;

1. What do you think the problem might be? I think I am sure that I held the grip safety tight and thumb safety was off. Is there any other part that might be blocking the trigger?

2. I think the casing should be pulled out by the extractor when I hit it hard. But the casing was still stuck inside. The slide just opened. The hook did not have enough force to catch it and pull it out. My question is, if I fire a round in this gun, is it going to be so tight that it cannot be pulled out? Do I need to check my extractor or is it just a super tight casing fired from another gun?

Thank you.

Edited by bbg

My guess would be that with a live round, the bullet was hitting the rifling and not letting the slide close quite all the way. If that happens, the disconnector is activated and the trigger won't work. The fix for that is to cut the throat a bit bigger with a throat or chamber reamer. A lot of new barrels have a short or tight chamber and throat.

The tight brass was probably just because it was fired in a gun with a bigger chamber.

I put together a 2011, tested the gun with snap caps and it feeds and ejects fine. I could pull the trigger with no problem. I then lubed the gun and went to the range.

I loaded one round from magazine but the trigger was stuck. I ejected the round and removed the magazine, put another one in the chamber and closed the slide. Same thing, cannot pull the trigger.

I picked up a spent casing from the floor and put it in. I have no problem pulling the trigger. The casing I picked up was too tight and it was stuck. I could cock the gun and pull the trigger. Since it was stuck I went back home to get the casing out. It seems that casing was just too tight. I whacked the back of the gun and the slide opened.  I had to pry the casing out.

I have two questions;
1. What do you think the problem might be? I think I am sure that I held the grip safety tight and thumb safety was off. Is there any other part that might be blocking the trigger?
2. I think the casing should be pulled out by the extractor when I hit it hard. But the casing was still stuck inside. The slide just opened. The hook did not have enough force to catch it and pull it out. My question is, if I fire a round in this gun, is it going to be so tight that it cannot be pulled out? Do I need to check my extractor or is it just a super tight casing fired from another gun?

Thank you.
Well first I would pull the barrel out, take a sized piece of brass and insert it into the chamber, then hold the barrel upright and check to see it the brass sits higher than the barrel hood. If it does then the chamber needs to be cut deeper until the brass is about .005" or so below the barrel hood. That would cause the problem you are describing with either a loaded round or just a piece of brass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

If factory ammo works, the chamber might be fine but your reloads need a little adjustment.

^^^^   This

BUT, sounds like you have some other problems as well.

If you've never built your own gun before, I would have it checked over by a gunsmith before I fired it.

Sounds like you have multiple problems, to me    :)  

Do your reloads pass the plunk and spin test in the barrel after you remove it from the slide?

That is absolutely step #1.

And the brass expands when you fire a round - that’s why the very first act when reloading is to run it through a sizing die. Getting stuck in the Chamber is normal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 5:53 PM, CCG said:

BBG, Did you check the chamber with Go/No Go gauges or measure the chamber? Did you ream the chamber?

I brought it to gunsmith and he said it was the headspace. After he fixed it, I ran 300 rds and it worked great, no jam.

Thank you everyone for your help.

• 3 weeks later...