Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop Frees

Rufus The Bum

I'm setting up a 35 for Limited and have been using factory glock mags with Taylor pads. What I've done is ground off the follower tab on the slide-release.

I filed down the tab on the slide-release to keep the gun from running to slide-lock. Now that there is no force pushing the mags out, my mags "stick" up inside the magwell. Whats funny is that they only stick with the slide assy on the gun. With the top-end removed, they all drop out fine.

I've filed the mags where it looks like their rubbing, but still nothing, they still stick. What am I missing? It's not a big problem really because I don't like to run the mags dry, but if I do I don't want to have to pull a mag out. I'd rather it drop free. Any suggestions for a fix? :D

Which tab did you file off?

I had an issue with the tab that contacts the follower...it would get in front of the follower, instead of on top of it.

It would then hold the mag in by friction (jamming the tab in front of the follwer holds it in).

Like George said Armour All or silicone spray. One of the things not to do with a Glock mag is sand it or polish it. The polymer starts to fray and becomes fuzzy and causes it to stick even more. No steel wool on the plastic or anything like that.

I'm setting up a 35 for Limited and have been using factory glock mags with Taylor pads.  What I've done is ground off the follower tab on the slide-release. 

I filed down the tab on the slide-release to keep the gun from running to slide-lock.  Now that there is no force pushing the mags out, my mags "stick" up inside the magwell.  Whats funny is that they only stick with the slide assy on the gun.  With the top-end removed, they all drop out fine. 

I've filed the mags where it looks like their rubbing, but still nothing, they still stick.  What am I missing?  It's not a big problem really because I don't like to run the mags dry, but if I do I don't want to have to pull a mag out.  I'd rather it drop free.  Any suggestions for a fix?  :D

Something no one's asked: How old are the mags? How old's the 35? Got another 35/22/17/34 frame to try the mags in? Got newer mags, even if they're ten rounders or 9mm to try in the 35? The latest generation of mags are more tapered on top and always fly out of my 34s ---- the former generation would occasionally hang up.....

I use a 1st gen (U-shaped notch) non-drop-free mag stuffed with dummy rounds to store the pistol with. You can also use one of those blue CRTC training mags with a business card trimmed and taped to each side to store the pistol with.

I've never had any problems having my mags drop since I started doing that.

George/Clay

I have to disagree. I have sanded the inside of the mag well to remove problems with mags sticking. It has done a marvelous job. I went from having 5 (if memory serves) of my mags not dropping in my lastest g-17 to problem free working. I did this by sanding, lots and lots of sanding. I have done this in three glocks, it improved the function in all three.

Seth

I have to admit that all the mags dropped free 100% before I got the notion to file off the follower tab. I did a very small amount of sanding where they appeared to be rubbing, but still no change.

In light of the troubles I've been having, I've decided to put a stock, non-extended slide-release in and just let it go to slide-lock. I think I created a problem where none existed.

One persons fuzzy is anothers smooth. Disparate opinions make the world go around ;-)

The truth here is: If the fit is tight and you just rough up the surface(s) it will get worse. If you actually remove an appreciable amount of material on at least two of the faces that are 90 degrees opposed (mag, or well), you are creating additional clearance and it will be better even if the actual contact friction between the surfaces is increased.

The old Non-Drop mags swell a lot when full and partial/full mags will always be a bit sticky in some guns. Trying to remove enough material to fix this can be a real loser situation.

The magwell training bberkley mentioned makes a lot of sense too!

--

Regards,

I have to admit that all the mags dropped free 100% before I got the notion to file off the follower tab. I did a very small amount of sanding where they appeared to be rubbing, but still no change.

In light of the troubles I've been having, I've decided to put a stock, non-extended slide-release in and just let it go to slide-lock. I think I created a problem where none existed.

I think you're right. Your final solution strikes me as indicative of the old saying, "Genius is the ability to make the complicated simple." Occam's Razor, anyone?