Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Orange- extractor pin 'walking'

muncie21

Recently when cleaning TSO .40 I've noticed that the extractor pin seems to be 'walking' a bit, causing it to drop down into the slide channel.  I noticed this when trying to remove the slide and feeling a bit of tension/resistance while trying to pull the  slide off the frame.

Below is a picture of my 40 (top pic)  that has several thousands of rounds through it, compared to my TSO 9 (bottom) which only has  a few hundred rounds through it.  It appears the pin was staked from the factory. 

Anyone else notice this with either a TS or TSO (I believe both frames are similar/same)?

IMG_0179A.jpg

Edited by muncie21

• 5 weeks later...

I just got a new Shadow 2 and went to clean the extractor and notice the pin is staked.  I really had to pound it out, and then back in again...  It was a major pain.   I ran my Shadow 1 for a couple of years and can't remember it ever being difficult to get in and out.  I've been pushing out with a punch and removing crud about every 500-1000 rounds.  It pushes in and out with ease.  Although, I did notice it backing out one time.  I simply pushed it back in again and it's never been a problem.  I really like the idea of cleaning my extractor frequently (I shoot a lot of rounds).  How many times can you stake this thing?  Is it really necessary?  

Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

not sure if this matters, but if you notice your pictures looks like you installed the pin upside down since its silver, and not flat / black where it was staked.  perhaps the shape of the ends will help it hold?  Im not 100% on this, I generally put it back in the way it came out and use a round end punch kit and give it a few hard knocks (restake it a lil). should fit it.  If not or this bothers you, im sure they are a few bucks for spares from CZ webstore, Cajun, etc. 

And I agree, I had a shadow 2 once where the damn thing wouldn't come out if Hulk himself smashed it.  was infuriating.  id rather have a loose one I can work with than once that I can't even get to...