Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

dgsmith

The rumor is for Match primers somebody looks in each one to ensure there's priming compound there. :o

I also have read that match primers are run on the best tuned machines by the most experienced operators on the line. I believe this one more.

To add to what Shred said. The other thing I have read about the match primers is that they are the same componenets but they are taken out from the middle of a run of primers on a machine when everything is warmed up and running smooth so they are getting the most consistent primers.

Neal in AZ

The rumor is for Match primers somebody looks in each one to ensure there's priming compound there.  :o

I also have read that match primers are run on the best tuned machines by the most experienced operators on the line.  I believe this one more.

While CCI and Federal are part of ATK, I don't know exactly what Federal did with their Match primers. For CCI, the BR (match) primers were done by personnel having a history of consistent production. The CCI BR priemrs had a narrower tolerance than the standard primers, so it was important to use personnel with a history of consistent, good results.

The priming compound is inserted manually, as efforts over the years to automate the process usually end with a lot of damage to equipment and people. Thus, chargers (those personnel working with the priming compound) showing the most uniformity and consistency are those assigned to the match level primers. I would expect Federal and other primer manufacturers would use a similar criteria. I would not expect that this has changed at CCI since they and I parted.

Alternately, some manufacturers could use test results alone as a criteria for designating match lots. This was done in rimfire ammunition at CCI. Those manufacturing lots testing exceptionally uniform in results could be sidetracked to the match packaging. Testing normally looks at sensitivity and the amount of priming compound.

Guy

I have done significant testing of identical components and just changing the primers.

My most recent has been on my new NRA AP gun. 38Super, sandbagged at 50Y, 4x Simmons pistol scope. This enables me to be testing just the ammo as best as I can shoot.

Using the following.

New or once fired Starline Cases (groups the same)

Hodgdon Titegroup. 4.5grains

Sierra 115gr JHP

Using Standard Small Pistol I got groups at best 1.230 worst 2.25 for an average of 5 six shot groups of 1.95"

Changing to the Federal Gold Medal Small Pistol.

Same criteria as above.

Best 1.1" (first four went under the inch)

Worst 1.7"

Average 1.34"

All groups were fired with 8 rounds in the magazine and the first hand cycled round put into the bank.

The diference is nearly two bullet diameters. That may turn an 8 into a ten or a five into an 8. In theory of course, I should be no where near the 8 or 5 rings, but just in case. Less flyers, as such, with the Gold Medal.

This gives me confidence in my ammo. If anything does not rip a hole out of the centre of the X ring at 50Y, then it was me.

The disparity is slightly worse when I use Zero bullets using the componentry. Nothing outside 3" with the std primers, nothing outside 2" with the Gold Medal.

So for big matches I run Gold Medal, for practice I use Std.

I believe, and i'll have to look for the source of my info, or take some out and measure them, but the federal GM vary by +/- .1 gr.. For the people who like to load bullets, cases, powder and primers that weight the same, it's the easiest way to go and have 33 primers that weight the same in a batch of 100.