Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Cylinder Care and Cleaning Question

eggman

I just purchased a S&W 646 non-performance center revolver . It's the first revolver I've owned with a titanium cylinder and wanted to know what I should use to clean the cylinder . I've been told not to use any abrasive cleaner or "scotch-brite" pads and that is the extent of my knowledge . I've always use a bronze brush with Hoppe's #9 to clean the chambers on SS cylinders where I've shot 38 special in a 357 chamber and 40 S&W in a 10mm chamber . Is a bronze brush soaked in Hoppe's #9 too abrasive for titanium ? Also, are those lead cleaning cloths okay to use like the one's Outers and others sell ? I just wanted to hear from others with more experience on cleaning titanium cylinders . 

Edited by eggman

Not sure about #9 but I use that on all my other guns cut with kroil. But Hoppes elite cleaner is recommend by s&w on the titanium cylinder. Might be hype but thats what I use with patches and copper brush. I figured no use taking chances. Someone else might chime in with more expertise. I'm no metalergist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, alecmc said:

regular old hoppes and a brass brush have never done me wrong. 

And I clean after every trip to the range.  After some 6000 or so rounds the 929 shows no adverse affects of using Hoppes and a brass brush

35 minutes ago, practical_man said:

Ed's Red is basically what I am using. I left out the acetone and adjust mix accordingly. Kerosene has a distinctive smell but works great as a solvent. 

It has has also been polymer safe for me, without the acetone. 

Your post reminded me that I have a gallon of Ed's Red I mixed up several years ago when I was still shooting benchrest . I ended up shelving it in favor of solvents that would remove copper fouling . From what I remember Ed's Red worked great on powder fouling in my match rifles so that should be just the ticket for my revolvers . I'll give it a try again and Thanks !

I've got too lazy to use bronze brushes. This stuff does my barrel and cylinder cleaning for me: http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/cleaners_degreasers/foamingborecleaner.aspx

I just push a patch through to get the worst out, get some foam in the barrel and cylinder, let it sit while I clean other areas and get my stuff organized at home, and push a couple of patches through. If I've let it get really dirty, I do it again.