Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help please!, primers seated upside down or sideways

Help guys! 

After 15 years of using a RL550 I decide to go with a XL650, everything was working good until yesterday when I noticed that some rounds had the primer seated upside down or seated sideways like the photo. 

I'm completely new to this machine, don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP! :(

IMG_2293.jpg

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Make sure the magazine tube thingamajig is all the way down locked in place. Make sure bench is rock solid as well

Thanks Sarge,  these are the things I already check:

1) Correct primer magazine tube size inserted all the way down and locked in place

2) The bench it's rock solid and and well anchored to the concrete floor

3) The machine it's rock solid tached to the strong mount 

Any other idea ?

Winchester primers seem to do this, when I load primer tubes using the Vibra Prime.  Switched to CCI and S&B and now this only happens occasionally (say 1 in 4/5K) and when it does it's because the primers didn't drop cleanly from the loading tube into the press' feeding tube.  Oh and if you load SPPs into a LPP tube, you'll get an opportunity to get acquainted with your 650's primer feeding system :)

Make sure the bench is secure as Sarge mentioned and double check that the primer tube and seating assembly are snugged up and indexing smoothly.

13 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Winchester primers seem to do this, when I load primer tubes using the Vibra Prime.  Switched to CCI and S&B and now this only happens occasionally (say 1 in 4/5K) and when it does it's because the primers didn't drop cleanly from the loading tube into the press' feeding tube.  Oh and if you load SPPs into a LPP tube, you'll get an opportunity to get acquainted with your 650's primer feeding system :)

Make sure the bench is secure as Sarge mentioned and double check that the primer tube and seating assembly are snugged up and indexing smoothly.

On the first week using the XL650 I reloaded a first batch of 500 rounds, I'm using Magtech small pistol primers and no problem at all but on the second week with the machine I tried to reload a second batch and then the problems started.

I thought it was the primers so I replaced them for CCI for testing purposes but nothing changed.

13 hours ago, camaross400 said:

Also, I replaced the blue cap at the bottom of my primer tube. I found that it was a little bent which caused the primer problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primer magazine on my XL650 doesn't have the same blue plastic tip at the bottom like my 550, this machine came with copper tips.

how are you filling the primer pick-up tube?  manually or using vibraprime?  i was filling my primer pick-up tubes manually and almost never had any upside down primer problems.  i switched to vibraprime and starting getting upsidedown primers...i just stick the pick-up tubes into the vibraprime without the inserts they gave you and my problems was solved...but that doesn't explain your sideway primers since it is impossible for primers to go into the tubes sideways...the only explaination is that your primers are bouncing during the indexing...is your shell plate loose?

Yep, loose shell plate, or loose primer system. If the shell plate is loose then there will be space for the primer to flip while its in the wheel. Don't over tighten the two Allen screws that hold the primer system, just finger snug.

jj

If you disassemble the primer system make sure you grease the wheel with all the holes back up. You need that to be well lubricated. My first instinct would be as sarge suggested in that the inside tube the primers slide down is not seated all the way in place. You can usually tell because the screw cap on the outside heavy tube doesn't screw down all the way.

If you disassemble the primer system make sure you grease the wheel with all the holes back up. You need that to be well lubricated. My first instinct would be as sarge suggested in that the inside tube the primers slide down is not seated all the way in place. You can usually tell because the screw cap on the outside heavy tube doesn't screw down all the way.

Thanks for the advice, I will follow.

Most likely the primer seater assembly has backed out a bit. You need a 9/16" open end wrench to snug it up. This assembly threads up into the underside of the platform.

Great, I will check this too.

Thanks a lot!

All I have to do is get some crud under the shell plate for this to happen to me. Take the plate off and clean the underside of it and the frame with a toothbrush. Then snug the plate and the primer assembly down [like Sarge. said]. Don't lock it down tight. Remember, you are dealing with aluminum and steel bolts in it.

All I have to do is get some crud under the shell plate for this to happen to me. Take the plate off and clean the underside of it and the frame with a toothbrush. Then snug the plate and the primer assembly down [like Sarge. said]. Don't lock it down tight. Remember, you are dealing with aluminum and steel bolts in it.

Thank you!