Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum small pistol primers for 929

waterboy

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 929 to replace my 627 pro. I have tuned up the action, but I want to get the trigger pull a little lighter. It's as light as I can go with winchester primers. Since I can't find federal anywhere, what are your thoughts on using federal small pistol magnums, as I have a bunch of those? Im using N320 with a .358 160 grain coated bullet.

Thanks for any advice,

Tom

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, waterboy said:

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 929 to replace my 627 pro. I have tuned up the action, but I want to get the trigger pull a little lighter. It's as light as I can go with winchester primers. Since I can't find federal anywhere, what are your thoughts on using federal small pistol magnums, as I have a bunch of those? Im using N320 with a .358 160 grain coated bullet.

Thanks for any advice,

Tom

I am using Federal #200 primers in my revolvers for the same reason and don't see much difference except that I can back off 1 tenth of a grain of powder and still be at or above my desired PF .

• 2 months later...

I recently chrono'd a few loads for my brothers S&W M&P, utilizing mixed brass, Montana Gold 115 grain bullets with Fed 100 , 200 primers and unique powder.  The magnum primer loads were 15 to 20 fps SLOWER than the standard primers.  This was through three separate guns.  Looks like powder selection will determine the results from substituting magnum and non magnum federal primers.