Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic Retaining Zero When Removed?

dirtypool40

OK, newbie to Open / Tac 3-gun. Regular carry handle mount, on an M4.

If I zero a good optic on an AR then remove it, will it still be zeroed when I strap it back on?

I want to switch back and forth between iron sights and TAC class at matches or between matches and don't have time to rezero every time.

thanks in advance.

LaRue Tactical (click here)

I have the Aimpoint and SPR-E mounts for that very reason. So far, so good as far as repeatability, at least at close range. I haven't tested it at any distance, but I'm confident that the repeatability is great.

Mark's stuff is spendy, but it is rock solid and high, high quality. You will get what you pay for.

DP,

I just don't see repeatability happening on a carry handle mount without some serious fitting. I think it would be easier and cheaper to simply change out the upper receiver for a railed one.

I was able to remove and replace even my B-Square mount without too many gyrations. I just put a witness mark on the mount and the rifle so that I got it back in the same spot every time.

E

this is a hypothetical in case I wanted to use an issued M4, but I see your point.

My match gun is built on a flat top.

I agree and again, my match gun is a flat top. But they issue what they issue, and for this question, I'm trying to work with what I have.

:D Check the time stamps on our posts. They were simultaeneous.

-ld

Long ago before flattops were common I used a B square carry handle mount that would come back close say 2". The thing you run into with carry handle mounts is the height above the bore, on close targets its an issue and also with some of the ports in walls you'll stick the barrel through the port but all you see through the scope is the wall. LOL Keith

How much bending can you do to the carry handle before anyone notices or complains? Back in "the day" we'd pinch the sides of the handle slot until the scope base was a snug fit. Then, use a witness mark ont he tightenign nut to get it tightened to the same spot each time. We could get a remounted scope to come back within an inch at 100 yards.

As Patrick has pointed out, you will have to DIY if you want "real" return to zero in a detachable on a carry handle. If you use a flat top and the Larue mount Dave mentioned, or the Armalite one piece QD scope mount, you will get a "real" RTZ

As far as optics on a carry handle goes, just don't take upper A/B shots unless you have absolutely have to and make sure you test and practice the offset. Saying it and doing it are two different things once the timer goes beep ;-)

Welcome to 3 gun!

--

Regards,

I've used the ARMS throw lever ring mounts, and have had no problems returning to zero. I would use these to switch between a red dot and a 3-9x scope, and I never had any problems.

More recently though, I've mounted a Vari-X II 1.5-4 on my AR (using these rings), and haven't had the need to remove it.

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=72

OK guys. I think what dirtypool40 is looking for is a mount to go on his ISSUED rifle. I dont think he has the option of changing it to a flat top reciever.

When i was in the Army, i had a cantaleaver mount for an Aimpoint. I took it off once to clean the rifle. It wasent even close to being zero'd.

I may suggest if your going that route, is to get a laser borsight device to re check your zero. if you check it b4 you remove the optic, and it changes in the process, you can get it really close.

My view of "repeatability" is right out of the X Files: TRUST NO ONE.

I have had sights removed and replaced and come back to zero but I've also had the same sights not come back to zero. One MOA off is 3 inches at 300 yards. That's quite a bit on a 8 or even 10 inch plate. Would you go to a major match and just pop your sight on? Not me! ;)