Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9 SFX guide rod

aandabooks

Who is making a stainless steel replacement guide rod?  My gun is way over sprung and I hate messing with captured guide rods.  

Also,  I bought several 18rd mags to be production legal.  Who makes an extension for them incase I want to run CO?

Sprinco: for guide rod and spring. It's made for the Walther ppq 5" Match. Ask for white recoil spring. It's light too enough for loads used in CO or Prod.
PLUS +4 extensions: Taran Tactical CZ 75, It fits the Canik magazine body and is 140 mm legal. It may hold 22 or 23rds.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sweetback said:

Sprinco: for guide rod and spring. It's made for the Walther ppq 5" Match. Ask for white recoil spring. It's light too enough for loads used in CO or Prod.
PLUS +4 extensions: Taran Tactical CZ 75, It fits the Canik magazine body and is 140 mm legal. It may hold 22 or 23rds.

Are you getting 23 rounds with the stock mag spring and follower?   I get 23 easily but don't get 22 in any of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a Canik TP9SFX to shoot in production next year.

Am I understanding this correctly that I can use the aftermarket guide rod that is in my G4 G34 with a 1911 spring to tune this gun for my reloads?

How do they like 147gr coated bullets?

You can use G3 guide rod and G4 adapter ring from Glock store. I'm using an 11lb. Flat wire ISMI on said guide rod. It works good for my Prod. loads.
The 1911 spring reference is for the SPRINCO set up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 3:26 PM, davidb72 said:

How do they like 147gr coated bullets?

Disclaimer:  I do not own one, this is only what I've seen

There is a youtube video out there of some guys running Freedom 147's and it was a jam-o-matic.  It's very possible it was because of the springs as they were shooting a 100% stock TP9sfx... the 115's were flawless.  This is only what i saw, I was not there.

OK, so I actually bought one of these and took it out to the range.

This gun is bone stock - all I did was take it out of the box, take it apart, clean it, oil it, and reverse the mag release (I want to try a right side release).

I shot about 300 rounds last night - all of which were my reloads - 147 gr Ibejihead Coated Bullet, 3.0 gr Titegroup, S&B SPP, at about 1.14 OAL.

The gun ran perfectly - not one problem. I didn't get a chance to chrono those rounds as it was raining outside, but they fell very pleasant - not snappy or anything. Very similar to the feel out of my 9mm 1911 actually (which they make about 130 PF out of).

I don't think I am going to mess with the spring or the guide rod just yet. I shot some at 10-15 yards at a fast double tap pace and had 19/20 in the A zone of a USPSA target. As I moved further back I was shooting everything off to the left which is normal for me - almost every pistol I won has the sights drifter over so that wasn't a surprise to me.

Overall I am very impressed with the gun - the trigger has a very long take up, but when it gets to the break it is pretty clean and smooth. If someone was looking for a gun to get started in IDPA or USPSA they could do a lot worse than this. And at the price I paid ~$460.00 I really don't think you can beat it.

• 5 months later...

Sorry in advance for resurrecting an old thread. I'm a new Canik TP9SFX owner, and a new member to the forum. Thanks for all the great information on this thread. Just a quick question, I'm hoping to get some clarification. I've read reports that the stock Gen 3 Glock 17 guide rod assembly works as a drop in part for the TP9SFX, but I've also read reports that the Gen 4 to Gen 3 adapter is needed. Is the adapter only needed when using an aftermarket non-captive guide rod? Or is the adapter needed no matter what when using any Gen 3 guide rod assembly? I'm just looking to lighten the stock recoil spring weight.

Additionally, reading on another forum, someone was using a P226 solid guide rod and 15# Wolff spring. Has anyone tried this setup?

11 hours ago, lutheranpriest said:

Sorry in advance for resurrecting an old thread. I'm a new Canik TP9SFX owner, and a new member to the forum. Thanks for all the great information on this thread. Just a quick question, I'm hoping to get some clarification. I've read reports that the stock Gen 3 Glock 17 guide rod assembly works as a drop in part for the TP9SFX, but I've also read reports that the Gen 4 to Gen 3 adapter is needed. Is the adapter only needed when using an aftermarket non-captive guide rod? Or is the adapter needed no matter what when using any Gen 3 guide rod assembly? I'm just looking to lighten the stock recoil spring weight.

Additionally, reading on another forum, someone was using a P226 solid guide rod and 15# Wolff spring. Has anyone tried this setup?

I tried a p320 guide rod and Wolff 1911 recoil spring. The spring is too long. Bought springs for a 4" 1911 but haven't had time to try that yet. 

Now that I have my SFx... I ran the stock rod and it was OK.  Ran the Sprinco with white spring and it was ejecting brass right where you expect a well sprung gun to put it.  This was 115's and 124's from Freedom.  Then I ran the Sig guiderod... I had purchased a Commander length spring, but it wasn't cooperating.  I think because it was a Wolff variable spring.  Anyway... I took a full-sized 1911 15# spring and chopped 4 or 5 coils off.  Gun ran like a champ.  brass was ejecting in the same area as the other springs and I found it much easier to rack with this configuration.  Recoil felt fine, got right back on target.

I have POV video of it, just never published it.  

Edited by bigdawgbeav