Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bump firing or is my G34 doubling?

B_RAD

It's it possible to inadvertently "bump" fire causing it to double?

My 34 is doing it. Only when I try to pull and get splits around the .15 mark. Even then it only seems to do it when i tense up to get those splits. If I stay relaxed it does seem to do it.

I'm running a Vanek GM kit. I just replaced all the springs. 4#striker, reduced striker block, stock trigger return spring. It didn't do It before I replaced the springs. 

I guess the LWD connector could be worn. During dry fire I use a piece a paper between the breachface and barrel to keep the trigger from going dead. Could that cause wear and change the mating surfaces?

1.  Try changing the connector.  I changed the LW with a Glock "-".

2.  When using the Vanek, loop the trigger return spring on the "bottom hole" on the trigger bar, not the top hole.  This will give you more surface engagement on the striker and top of cruciform (at the expense of a very slightly heavier pull).

I have had experiences with doubling and both #1 and #2 fix worked on separate occasions.  Just last night I fixed a Vanek that was going a bit out of control with method #2.

It's a start.

8 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

1.  Try changing the connector.  I changed the LW with a Glock "-".

2.  When using the Vanek, loop the trigger return spring on the "bottom hole" on the trigger bar, not the top hole.  This will give you more surface engagement on the striker and top of cruciform (at the expense of a very slightly heavier pull).

I have had experiences with doubling and both #1 and #2 fix worked on separate occasions.  Just last night I fixed a Vanek that was going a bit out of control with method #2.

It's a start.

Thanks for the recommendations. I did #2 and still had doubling. Of course it happens on a Virginia Count classifier. Last night I cleaned everything and switched the spring back for the top home. Shot the gun today at a match had 0 doubles. But I did very few splits at .15, if any. I did a lot at .20 though. 

I think I may go back to the "-".  I don tare about trigger weights nearly as much as reliability and smooth pull. Though "smooth" and glock don't go together. 

Edited by B_RAD

Huh.  I was almost certain the case would be closed, at least with #2.  You can try changing the connector or just bending the LW connector out a bit to see if it still happens.

Perhaps you are just so fast your mind thinks you are doubling but you really aren't? ; )

All the same do let us know what ends up fixing the problems so I can put the fix in my toolbox.

Edited by Sniperboy

No. I'm not too fast. Ha ha. I can split pretty quickly. Like I said around the .15 mark. I just changed the connector to the "-" and moves the spring back down. Can't feel a difference.

I did forget to mention that the striker is a jager. 

I'll update if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by B_RAD

Never heard of a "bump fire" on a any Glock, and I've been running them in competition since 92.  .15 split are GM times. I think you are seeing aftermarket parts =  aftermarket issues. What's your current classification?

12 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Never heard of a "bump fire" on a any Glock, and I've been running them in competition since 92.  .15 split are GM times. I think you are seeing aftermarket parts =  aftermarket issues. What's your current classification?

I think I agree. 

I'm an M in Production. 

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

nice didn't take you long to make Master

Thanks. Though, I've got a lot of room to improve. 

For instance,  stop zeroing classifers!  Ha. I'm not trying to hero or zero but I've zero'd a couple here lately.  Well, i guess I am trying to hero them.  Though, the one yesterday wasn't an attempt to do that. I told myself while visualizing to get a good sight pic and watch the soght track. I did and really got a good sight pic on each shot but I hit hard cover on 4 out of the 6 shots so. No joke something is up with my back up gun. I thought it might have been poor grip/trigger, but took it out today to try group shooting at 10 yrd and had the same exact problems. Low left.  Pulled out my primary G34 and all of them in a tight little group at POA.

I've recently switched up my loads and think maybe that barrel doesn't like them?

Anyways, also tried the problem gun (switched back to the "-" connector) with about 100 rounds of .15 splits.  No issues at all. 

Edited by B_RAD

Just now, 9x45 said:

.15 splits is fast, but 100 rounds of .15, wow Well at least you know the OEM Glock works fine

They were in 5 shot increments. 

I took a video but dont know how to upload here. 

12 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

So in this case it was the connector.  Good to know and glad you got that squared away : )

Im gonna go see Vanek tomorrw and see if he sees something wrong with the problem kit. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello,

New poster here. This is an old topic, but seemed closest to the issue I'm having.

I have a G35 that has doubled at least twice during recent matches. I installed a Pyramid trigger over a year ago and never had doubles until now. I'm hesitant to go to any matches now until I'm confident this won't happen anymore, I highly doubt it's me bump firing, but I guess its possible.

(Please forgive me if I'm using incorrect terminology for certain parts)

The catch on the striker looks like it's in good condition from what I can tell, with some minimal wear on one side of the sear.

I noticed that when manipulating the trigger with the slide removed, pushing the connector in towards the sear didn't produce a solid *click* reset, the trigger bar just kind of slowly slid into place even after completely disassembling and cleaning. So my guess is the issue is with my connector, trigger spring, and/or trigger bar. Possibly a lame reset causing the sear to not catch the striker and slam firing?

To my embarrassment, I don't recall if I left the stock trigger spring in or swapped it for the one that came in the trigger spring kit, but I do have both. One is noticeably heavier, so I put in that one and the reset *click* when pushing in the connector is much more solid now, but haven't test fired it yet.

If that doesn't fix it, anyone have other suggestions to try before I put the stock trigger back in?

• 2 weeks later...

Following up for anyone else having Glock double fire issues. In my case, the heavier trigger reset spring has solved the issue. I'm still not sure if I got a bum aftermarket spring or if it was just worn out.

Check the reset with slide removed, pushing the connector towards the center of the gun should produce a solid click into place. Hard to describe, but if the sear doesn't move into place fast enough to catch the striker you can get double firing. Too much tension can be even worse than double firing though since that spring is essentially assisting your trigger pull. Don't add so much tension that your trigger pulls itself.

Edited by madness661
Add caution for too much trigger spring tension.