Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First attempt at 147 Grain minor load, insight appreciated

Outcrydrummer

14 hours ago, Outcrydrummer said:

I may just end up grabbing some berrys 147 grains since they seem to be carried by everyone locally. 

Don't.  There was a time when plated bullets offered a clean 'lead-free-ish' advantage over cheaper and more accurate bare lead, and it offered a price savings in lots of 250 or 500 over more accurate and easier-to-deal-with jacketed bullets.   Now, if you're willing to pony up for a bulk jacketed purchase, like 2,000 or more of Precision Delta, then plated has lost the price advantage it has over jacketed.  And if you're not willing to pony up for bulk jacketed and want/need to buy in smaller numbers, coated bullets offer all the advantages of plated, plus better accuracy, and for less money.

Don't bother with plated.

3 hours ago, floater said:

147gr coated lead need to run around a 135pf to be accurate for my glock. For me that's 3.2 of tight group at 1.135". 

I have found with all seven 147gr bullets (two plated, five coated) that I've loaded for my CZ-75 ShadowLine that groups tighten significantly when the average velocity gets between 925 and 940, so PF 136-138.  That is NOT the case in my VP9.  And I haven't shot enough 147gr bullets in my other 9mm pistols to say definitively one way or another. 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:30 PM, njl said:

3.1-3.3gr will likely do it, but if you're a beginner reloader, I don't recommend either titegroup or coated bullets. Get a less dense powder like Universal or Red Dot / Promo and load a few thousand fmj or jhp bullets before messing with coated lead.

There is no reason for him to need to use jacketed bullets. His dad has wo presses and will likely be teaching. there is also a pregressive press and so double charges are very unlikely. On my 650 I am not even sure you can have a double charge because the press wants to index near as soon as you get the ram half way down and before the rod pulls the powder bar back into the position to fill with powder. Literally all it takes to learn is to slowly run the die down a little at a time until you have the correct diameter at the case mouth and then pull a bullet to see if the coating is damaged. It is a 15 minute process, not a year long process of loading 2,000 rounds of something else.

In my CZ 3.2 makes 130PF with 147 coated lead.

Edited by mikeinctown

Well, I learned with lead bullets and Bullseye, so I don't see why you shouldn't load coated bullets and Titegroup.

If you load single stage, get 50 cases in a loading block and go down each row under a strong light to be sure each contains one and only one powder charge.

When you move up to - or start with - a progressive, a light on or behind the press will let you eyeball for proper powder as you place the bullet to be seated.  There are mechanical powder checks if you have enough stations, D650 or so. 

DW PM9 Bayou 147 W231 3.20 WSP Speer 1.145 842 27 7 123.8 3.85 3-5 shot avg benched 25 yds 3/24/11

DW PM9 Bayou 147 W231 3.40 WSP Speer 2.145 856 28 7 125.8 2.30 3-5 shot avg benched 25 yds 3/24/11

Some guys use Clays, Solo 1000, you might try 231

Above chart came from Bayou Bullets

Thanks

Mike

25 minutes ago, mlm said:

DW PM9 Bayou 147 W231 3.20 WSP Speer 1.145 842 27 7 123.8 3.85 3-5 shot avg benched 25 yds 3/24/11

DW PM9 Bayou 147 W231 3.40 WSP Speer 2.145 856 28 7 125.8 2.30 3-5 shot avg benched 25 yds 3/24/11

Some guys use Clays, Solo 1000, you might try 231

Above chart came from Bayou Bullets

Thanks

Mike

There, fixed it for ya...