Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Older 1050 Purchase

hello all!

first post here.so here goes

a buddy of mine has an older 1050 that was used once at a palma match 10 or so years ago.1 station on the tool head is stripped ,overall condition is what you would expect from a machine that has sat for a long time,ie surface rust and nasty.it is set up for 308 win.no accesories or other parts.it moves freely but i have no idea what is missing or how to set up the machine.question: is it worth the $600 asking price or would it be better to get a new rl650.what would dillons warranty be on this "clunker".i shoot 40 45acp,38spcl pistol and would only load volume 30.06 and 308win.i tried out a SD today and was impressed but it is small so i think i am leaning toward the 650.

thanks for the imput

ady

With the damage as described I would suggest that you stay well away from that press at that price.

My estimate of the value would be at no more than $250, and I would buy it at that, because I have a RL1050 and a bunch of spares and could use some more.

If it is as bad as I suspect, there will be more problems coming later. Dillon will repair nearly anything that could reasonably gop wrong with this press for free. But I think they may baulk at the abuse suffered at the hands of who knows who.

I don't think Dillon does repair the 1050 for free, as they do with other presses. I think they consider it a commercial press, and they charge for service/parts

Bruce

The money spent on a 650 would be good money spent (LIFE TIME NO BS WARRANTY) is worth the price! A year from now you will be loading and thinking about shooting not what will break next (1050 NO, NO BS WARRANTY). Go with a new 650 That is a great machine.

Rick T ;)

Having two 1050s, I cant think that too much could be damaged.......For $600 I would buy it in a heartbeat and ship it to Dillon. I would almost bet that the price tag from the Factory for the checkover would be a helluva lot cheaper than a new one....My .02$ :ph34r:

Having two 1050s, I cant think that too much could be damaged.......For $600 I would buy it in a heartbeat and ship it to Dillon.  I would almost bet that the price tag from the Factory for the checkover would be a helluva lot cheaper than a new one....My .02$ :ph34r:

I only paid 150 more than that and it bolted right on the bench and went to work and had 2 heads one set of dies and lotz[/SIZE] of extra new parts..........

A used 1050 would definitely not be covered under warranty. Estimated costs for repair would be $125.00 to clean and lube, and a replacement toolhead costs about $150.00. All other broken, missing or damaged parts would cost extra as well. Figure a used 1050 in one caliber in working condition is probably worth about $1000 or more, so it would greatly depend on what else was damaged, missing or broken as to whether or not this is a good deal. You can go to

www.dillonprecision.com and click on Dillon Manuals (about halfway down the page on the left side, in blue letters) to download the 1050 manual

in a pdf format. :ph34r: