Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruptured brass

Dwbsig

Had a friend shooting his Glock 9mm today and he had a case rupture blowing out the mag on the ground in several pieces not hurting him or the pistol. Just wanting some opinions on what went wrong,was the slide not closed all the way or just some work hardend brass? I don't think it was over charged because is a very careful reloader.

So many possibilities ....

Could be over charge, or under charge (if the bullet before got stuck in barrel).

Slide not in battery.

Bullet setback.

Photos of the gun, mag and brass would be helpful.   :) 

Glad no one got hurt.

bullet setback. what bullet, what weight, what case, what powder charge, what reloader?  Check the remaining loads for OAL first. If it doesn't snap into the case, it may fall in, the bullet undersized by .0002" and the case over sized by .0002" You won't know that on a 650 or 1050.And if the setback bullet is first in the mag, it will setback each time  you pull the trigger by a .005" or so.

This happened to me a few months back. 

No way mine was double charged (can barely get 8.0 grains of Blue Dot under those 115 grain hollow points).  Besides I use a Hornady electronic powder measure scale to measure/weigh each charge and still do 5 random weigh checks per 50 rounds.  Never had an issue with set back either.  Primer doesn't show high pressure signs.  The rim just blew off the case and dumped burning powder/gas into the frame/magazine of the pistol.  The gun went bang and then didn't.  I thought it was misfeed, till I racked the slide and this fell out.

IMG_0314_zpsrihsfdbr.jpg

Had to field strip it and pull the case walls out of the chamber.  No damage to the pistol other than the extra black crud all over the top of the magazine, the first few bullets and the upper area of the mag. well.  Old Pre B CZ 85.  Built like a tank.

IMG_0320_zps5k7dj2hp.jpg

Federal brass.  It was suggested on another forum that the brass may have just been defective/weak.  Another poster said he'd had a piece of Federal brass to the same thing on him.

While I've never had a factory load go that bad I have had them blow small holes in the case.  Hornady 30.06 and a Remington .44 magnum many, many years ago.  Just small slots blown through the case walls, one on each case.