Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO - SP-01 / Shadow - is it hard to track the dot?

LeviSS

I'm thinking about getting a dovetail mount for my SP-01 to mount my FF3 on it to see if I might like Carry Optics.

I've only used this dot on my 22/45, so I have no clue if it is going to be hard to track the dot with more recoil.

Assuming you have a decent grip, does the dot stay on the glass or does it just go out of sight then settle back in for you to fine tune it before ripping off another shot?

I'm just curious until I order it to try for myself.

Edited by LeviSS

It doesn't matter if the dot leaves the glass.  It only matters if it returns to the same spot.  That will take some work on your grip, and practice.  Many shooters "time" their second shot.  The are able to do that because they know precisely when and where the dot will return.

I'll give you a couple of hints.  Holding with a death grip trying to prevent the dot from leaving the glass is not the answer.  A lighter, faster bullet will reduce muzzle rise and the dot will return more quickly.  Consistency of grip is vital.  Just the right amount of grip returns the dot.  Too much and the muzzle dips low on return.  Too little and you play find the dot.

if by track you mean watch the dot in such a way that you see all of its movement, then i do not track the dot.

on quite a few shots, if you wait for the dot to be a "dot" again you're wasting time with a slide mounted dot.

when do i lose the dot? or more accurately, when do i have to make sure i'm seeing a good dot again? after a reload. going from an easy target to a very difficult one. after a shooting position movement where the gun drops below eye level. those are the three places seeing the dot has become important to me versus seeing a perfect dot for the second of two shots.

Edited by rowdyb

I am sometimes slow to pick up the dot on the first target of a stage. After that I don't lose it. Sometimes it's a moving blur which is fine. You need to practise your draw a lot..

As stated above, Dry Fire is your friend.  No need to go fast, just draw to your dot.  And.... Reload to your dot.  Speed at this point is not a factor, consistency IS the main factor.

Let me warn you, you will not initially be faster with a dot, but you will be more accurate.  The speed will take some time.

Enjoy the ride

zhunter is right about the speed. After 3 months of CO practise (1 hour dry fire a day) and matches, compared to iron sights, I am marginally faster on 10-15 yard targets with the dot, significantly faster at 25 yards but about the same at 0-10 yards. My short range speed has only just caught up.

My accuracy can can be MUCH better with the dot depending on the target array and stage plan.

totally agree. with dot at first i was slower than my Prod times and shot waaayyyy more A hits. now i am faster than my Prod times (even when it was still 10rnds) and shoot more As.

Shooting CO recently at a local match

mro, fast and light is what you want if you are trying to minimize muzzle rise/ dot movement in any gun.  In 9mm with the same grip, the dot will rise less with a 115 at 132PF  than with a 147 at 132.

The same is true of my 40.  I started out using 180s, because that's what everybody did.  I tried 200s, because everyone claimed softer recoil.  Okay, it may have been softer, but it was also slower.  I went to 165s for Limited, only because the pistol I was shooting at the time did not like 155s. 

I experimented with loads for steel in 40.  The least muzzle rise (as in almost none) is with 135gr bullets at 109PF for iron sights and a 155 at 131PF for Open (comp'd pistol).

On 3/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, rowdyb said:

totally agree. with dot at first i was slower than my Prod times and shot waaayyyy more A hits. now i am faster than my Prod times (even when it was still 10rnds) and shoot more As.

Shooting CO recently at a local match

Are you still using the dovetail mount or did you get it milled?

Are you enjoying CO?

I had never shot a dot until a few weeks ago and I really like it.  I ordered a Springer dovetail mount this morning to try.

my cheapness is driving this, sadly. i have a burris ff and i have a trijicon rmr. the ff is on my pcc gun so the trijicon is on my co gun. i don't want to buy another sight, though i guess i could switch them around. the rmr is a 2moa and the ff is an 8moa dot.

so short answer, this is still the dovetail mount. i'd like it milled in, as i enjoy shooting CO that much. if more heat comes to the division then i could be tempted to switch to it full time next year. instead of limited, which is my plan.

The downside of CO is definitely the lack of shooters. It's great fun to shoot, but I may move back to Limited to face (and lose to) more "heat". 

Interesting that Shane Coley shot and won against 9 other shooters (including me) at Area 2 last week. He won an XDS and got some catcalls while collecting his award :) Hmm..

Are you still using the dovetail mount or did you get it milled?

Are you enjoying CO?

I had never shot a dot until a few weeks ago and I really like it.  I ordered a Springer dovetail mount this morning to try.

An FYI about the Springer mount, it slips right in, so do a dry fit then set it using the supplied locktite and make sure you degrease everything before applying locktite to the dovetail. I've got around 450 rounds on that mount without any issues so far. The set screws are what provide the tension in the dovetail.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 3/9/2017 at 6:17 AM, bsand said:

An FYI about the Springer mount, it slips right in, so do a dry fit then set it using the supplied locktite and make sure you degrease everything before applying locktite to the dovetail. I've got around 450 rounds on that mount without any issues so far. The set screws are what provide the tension in the dovetail.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up.

I got the mount today, but ran in to a problem.

I tried to remove my Dawson rear, and then remembered I used red Loctite 262, as suggested by Dawson.  Loctite says 500 degree heat will break it loose.  I tried using a torch to heat a nail and hold it in the set screw, but it didn't work.

Any ideas how to get this set screw out?

EDIT:. I got it.  A butane micro torch heated it up and got it out pretty easily.

Now to mount the plate/dot.

Edited by LeviSS

Got it on and bore sighted.

I'll let the loctite cure tonight and shoot it tomorrow.

So far it's not that hard to find the dot.  I can see how milling the slide would drop it considerably.  I'll definitely consider it if I like the dot.

IMG_20170311_203518.jpg

Just got done shooting.  I really like the dot.  On the timer, I am a little slower, but not as much as I figured... Especially having very little dry fire with it.

I did max out the elevation on the dot.  I guess having it high on the mount made it necessary to bring the dot way down.  It's still shooting a hair low at 25, but close enough.  Anyone else have this happen?

11 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

Just got done shooting.  I really like the dot.  On the timer, I am a little slower, but not as much as I figured... Especially having very little dry fire with it.

I did max out the elevation on the dot.  I guess having it high on the mount made it necessary to bring the dot way down.  It's still shooting a hair low at 25, but close enough.  Anyone else have this happen?

How far off was it from your bore sighting?

16 minutes ago, Jerome said:

How far off was it from your bore sighting?

When I bore sighted I was inside, so I mainly adjusted it for windage and just got it close for elevation, since I could only get to about 10-15yds inside.  

I shot it at 25 yds to sight in.  Windage was spot on, elevation-wise it was shooting low about 4 or 5 inches.

I adjusted, shot again, and it needed a little more.  I adjusted more and ran out of adjustment.  I shot it and its pretty close, maybe an inch low.

I just stuck the bore sighted in it again and the dots are about stacked at inside distance.