Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mag overtravel stop chewing up mags

I've been doing some dry fire with my PCC lately. While practicing reloads I've noticed my mags are starting to or are chewed up on the over travel stop ledge. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this and if they have a solution? The edges of the over travel stop in the lower seem kind of sharp, so I may stone them to round it out a little. Any ideas welcome. 

At least your lower has an over travel stop. In the NFA/JoeBob there is none. I cannot monopod of the mag and if not careful I can over insert and the bolt will hit the mag lips.
Anyone know of a solution to add an over travel stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TitoR said:

At least your lower has an over travel stop. In the NFA/JoeBob there is none. I cannot monopod of the mag and if not careful I can over insert and the bolt will hit the mag lips.
Anyone know of a solution to add an over travel stop?

I'd be looking to glue on some sort of plastic rod that runs up the front of the mag body and hits the underside of the magazine well. The longer the rod, the more surface you'd have for a good bond. Might even be worth extending the rod all the way down the front of the mag to the base plate for even more support against the forces trying to pop it off when the "stop" slams into the magwell edge. It'd be ugly and the mags would then be dedicated to the carbine, but I bet it'd help with your problem.

Heck, it occurs to me that you could even take wood dowel, cut it to the right length, rubber band it to the magazine from the baseplate up, and see if it's worth doing more permanently.

I do use big sticks, but on classifieds with mandatory reloads, it can be an issue.
But, main reason for a fish is that this is my son's PCC. He is 10 and I want to minimize any failure points on his rig. If he overinsert mag, breaks a lip, then he will ha a hard time clearing it due to the 308 spring.

1 hour ago, TitoR said:

I do use big sticks, but on classifieds with mandatory reloads, it can be an issue.
But, main reason for a fish is that this is my son's PCC. He is 10 and I want to minimize any failure points on his rig. If he overinsert mag, breaks a lip, then he will ha a hard time clearing it due to the 308 spring.

Hello: Try a 223 spring to make it easier for him. Thanks, Eric

JKW. The external rod may be an option, but not sure if it may interfere with the mag pouch.
Patrick Kelly did a great fix for his LoneWolf rig, but I do not have the machining (or machines) to do what he did. See video here:

Seems to me that what PK did should come standard with all glock lowers.

Hello: Try a 223 spring to make it easier for him. Thanks, Eric

I went that way for a couple of matches, but I am shooting commercial ammo and it bottoms out in the buffer tube, making the dot jump all over the place.
Two options going forward:
Reloading to a lower power factor
Son needs to build his strength

Working in both