Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag primers?

IGOTGLOCKED

I was having a conversation recently regarding using mag small pistol primers. I was told they provide better ignition for lower grain loads for competition shooters especially under 3.8 grains. 

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge of this?

Thx!

(Quote)

"I was told they provide better ignition for lower grain loads for competition shooters especially under 3.8 grains". 

I don't know that I buy all that but I have used them when nothing else was available. They worked just fine for Production loads. I could not really tell a definable difference. I would still use them in place of a regular SPP if that was all that was available and wouldn't give it a second thought but my chrono sessions did not prove any superiority using magnum primers.

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I was having a conversation recently regarding using mag small pistol primers. I was told they provide better ignition for lower grain loads for competition shooters especially under 3.8 grains. 

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge of this?

Thx!

It isn't worth doing unless it makes financial sense, i.e. for some reason magnum primers are cheaper.  I use small rifle, they are usually much cheaper and I only have to keep one type of primer on hand.

I bought a bunch of the Wolf mag SPP when they were being closed out (Grafs? Weidners?  now sure now) for $16/1k.  Been using them for my 38super open loads, and regular 9mm PCC and pistol loads.  They work fine and seem to decrease the SD by a few points in the low charge weights seen in tailored130-ish pf PCC loads.  Not a  huge difference and not worth it to purchase them specifically unless they are a good deal as others have said.   

17 hours ago, 57K said:

Most powders around the same burn rate are going to ignite pretty easily. I think what you heard might be better related to cartridges that use low charges and leave a lot of unused case capacity, i.e. .38 Sp. or larger. In this case it's more about spherical powders that are very dense and flake powders rarely need a magnum primer. As an example, for target loads in 9 x 19mm with 124/125 gr. bullets and .38 Sp. with 158 gr. coated SWCs loading both with True Blue which is very dense and fine grained, I use magnum primers in the lower pressure .38 Sp. load and standard primers in 9 x 19mm.

While we experienced shortages, a good many handloaders were forced to use what they had on hand. Most advice was that magnum primers could be used in the interim but I don't believe there is any added benefit to doing so. And while True Blue is not as vulnerable to powder positioning in a larger case, ignition is more uniform that you can see with your chrono stats.

Thanks, I'm shooting IDPA & GADPA. Currently loading 9 w/145 gr rn, 3.3 gr titegroup @ 1.6 oal which is a pf of 132 ish. I suppose the 3.3 of tg is why this was mentioned to me..?

16 hours ago, Bamboo said:

I bought a bunch of the Wolf mag SPP when they were being closed out (Grafs? Weidners?  now sure now) for $16/1k.  Been using them for my 38super open loads, and regular 9mm PCC and pistol loads.  They work fine and seem to decrease the SD by a few points in the low charge weights seen in tailored130-ish pf PCC loads.  Not a  huge difference and not worth it to purchase them specifically unless they are a good deal as others have said.   

Yes, this is what i heard. I'm shooting 9 with a pf of 132 ish. That's great if it decreases the SD, and they are the same price so it must be doing something good in "there"..?

When the great primer shortage was in full swing, I bought 20k Winchester small pistol magnum primers and used them in every load I shot..38super mj, 9mm mn, 357 mag and 38 spl, and 40 mj and mn...no ill effects at all. Shoot them.

11 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

When the great primer shortage was in full swing, I bought 20k Winchester small pistol magnum primers and used them in every load I shot..38super mj, 9mm mn, 357 mag and 38 spl, and 40 mj and mn...no ill effects at all. Shoot them.

Thanks Grumpy!