Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 3 for...............IDPA.

B_RAD

Showed a friend my LP last night.  Told him there was another Tanfo (S3) that has the same length barrel/slide and was  heavier.  He said he wanted one for IDPA.  I  told him with all the new parts coming out for these it MIGHT be possible. 

No after market base pads. He'll need the PD guide rod. Smaller single thumb safety. Stock FP. Stock FPB. Stock wood grips.  

What does a magazine weigh with stock base pad?  

Anyone know what a bine stock S3 w/mag weighs?  

I think it'd be funny to show up to an IDPA match with a S3 and it be leagal.  

Talking SSP so no lighting of the frame/slide. 

You think its possible?

Edited by B_RAD

Not possible just because it like the Stock I and II has a cone barrel which is not legal in any IDPA division at those lengths.

Rule 8.1.8 C -  Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions

Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions.

That's why the Lim Pro is legal - it now fits the box with the new beavertail and it has never had a cone barrel.

I'm wrong. I always thought the stock 3 had a cone barrel like the other 'Stock' guns.

Edited by hav3n

26 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

The S3 does NOT have a cone barrel. 

Its the same same length as the Lim Pro. 

Fixed. Let me know. That'd be awesome to get a S3 for IDPA. With the longer beavertail style you might have trouble fitting the box along with the weight problem.

Edited by hav3n

6 minutes ago, hav3n said:

Fixed. Let me know. That'd be awesome to get a S3 for IDPA. With the longer beavertail style you might have trouble fitting the box along with the weight problem.

Well, I might be pissing in the wind but I didn't think it had the longer beavertail. 

My understanding is that is the same beavertail as the Lim Pro. 

Guide rod from PD will shave 3/4 oz.

Lava grips will shave a couple 10ths.

Rear sight is 1oz. So a fixed will shave 1/2 oz .

9mm is the heaviest. Running a 40 will be lighter due to the larger hole in the barrel. Also, you can run 10mm mags which are (iirc) 1/2 oz lighter as they dont have the spacer in the back.

Listed weight is the same 44.8oz for all calibers, but the scale shows differences.  but, with all the "dieting", it might sqeak under 43oz.

Edited by johnbu

two questions.  

1.  Johnbu - are lavas lighter than the stock wood grips?  They seem extremely light. Can't imagine anything being lighter. 

2.  Anyone know what the cut is for the rear?  I know jack crap about sight cuts but it looks like the rear sight is just like every other adj rear sight  

7 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Weights on my guns (stock grips) with Shock bottle basepad and magazine:

Stock 2:  (old style): 39.7 Oz

Stock 2: (new style): 40.1 Oz

Limited (40 cal): 41.3 Oz

Stock 3: 41.7 oz

Well, that makes weight!

That has to be a typo?

Have you replaced a lot of parts?  

My Lim Pro weighs more than that. 

Edited by B_RAD

My notes may be off or my scale. All I know is the differences between the guns were what I was after. I can't re-measure since I don't have a weed kitchen scale and had to borrow one. The interesting thing to me was that the Limited wasn't really any heavier than the Stock 2 and if you want the heaviest Tanfoglio you can get outside the Hunter then get a Stock 3.

13 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

... if you want the heaviest Tanfoglio you can get outside the Hunter then get a Stock 3.

My buddies (who shoot SP-01 Shadows not flyweight plastic) pick up my gun and go "holy crap this is heavy!"...

So far the nose-heavy balance has either been a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

This is more of a novelty for the guy.  It's a look thing. My LP will be at the edge of the weight limit so the S3, if under 43 oz, won't be any heavier.  

So, I called John Harrison w/Harrison designs. He makes sight to fit I. The Tanfo cut (LPA). He said it weighs 1.1 oz. Anyone know what the factory adj sight weighs?