Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Powder [ How come?]

Ray_Z

I can shoot a whole match and my gun only gets a little warm. I used Winchester WSF to load some test loads with 147gr 9mm and I could feel the heat coming off the gun after 10 rounds.

9mm luger

147gr RSR plated bullets

4.1gr Winchester WSF

1.12 COL

No pressure signs

Published load data for WST doesn't exist, well it's not published any longer but in the past it has been provided by Winchester.  To that end, I ran 3.6gr of WST at 1.135 under a Bayou 147 in 9mm, giving me 128PF.

3 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Published load data for WST doesn't exist, well it's not published any longer but in the past it has been provided by Winchester.  To that end, I ran 3.6gr of WST at 1.135 under a Bayou 147 in 9mm, giving me 128PF.

I am running 3.7 under a 124/5 sns coated for 132pf out of a CZ 

Umm, compared to other powders at the same PF shooting just as fast?

All I know is TG heats everything up more than any other powder I have used, and WSF hasn't even been close to that.

Note: 4.1gn is a max load for jacketed bullets in one manual. 3.9g is max for lead and plated in one manual and 3.8gn was max for Berry's plated bullets in another.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:17 PM, Sarge said:

Does it have nitro in it like TiteGroup? TG will melt the FO rod right off the front of a pistol over time. Gun was always super hot after a stage with TG.

Hey Sarge

I really don't know if it has nitro in it or not. I've looked every place I know of and can't find any reference.

3 hours ago, noylj said:

Umm, compared to other powders at the same PF shooting just as fast?

All I know is TG heats everything up more than any other powder I have used, and WSF hasn't even been close to that.

Note: 4.1gn is a max load for jacketed bullets in one manual. 3.9g is max for lead and plated in one manual and 3.8gn was max for Berry's plated bullets in another.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, SCTaylor said:

I use 3.9 of solo 1000 to drive my 124's to 130 and I never feel heat coming off the gun after a stage with that stuff

Not happy to hear this. I hate Tightgroup because of the heat and bought both Winchester powders to try one day.

I'd bet WSF is a double base powder. Very few pistol powders are single base to my knowledge. I think Solo 1000 is single base.