Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 Primer Feed Issues

Yo Brethren - 

I'm new to the Super 1050, but have had it apart for cleaning and lubing several times - so by no means an expert, but familiar with its components. I bought it off this forum in near new condition, several months ago. It was setup for 9 mm but I bought a toolhead and set it up for processing 5.56 and banged out about 3k cases. I reinstalled the 9 mm toolhead to load, but it wouldn't feed primers without me manually fiddling with the slide actuating lever (if it was full rearward, I'd pull it forward and a primer would usually fall into the primer slide cup). I've scoured this forum and talked to Dillon today. Dillon offered suggestions but I was at work so could not be in front of the press during the conversation. This is as far as I've  gotten: if I cycle the press very slowly, and I mean very slow, as the primer slide slides back to pick up the next primer, it will feed about 100% (10 for 10 primers tested). If I cycle the press even close to a normal speed, it will not catch the new primer. This is everything I've tried to this point:

• ensured magazine fill cap is seated but not tight
  • ensured blue tip in good condition (fed primers down it and they flowed out smoothly). I even put a new cap on and tested it. It worked the same.
  • ensured the primer slide was smooth, with no obstructions/friction, and that it slides to the primer slide stop. My primer slide has the brass roller.
    • I polished the cup where the primer seats in the slide and manually cycled the slide, without the primer arm/cam assembly installed to ensure primers fell into the cup, and it worked fine  (10 primers tested).
  • re-installed the primer arm/cam assembly, ensured it was a close to parallel to press as possible and that it was not binding.
    • The primer slide passes under and past the fill tube to the rear of the press when the back of the slide contacts the stop (over-travel, but I believe this is normal.
  • I tried it again with a .45 ACP case on the follower but no difference. For more weight, i put a 147 grain, ACME bullet under the .45 case, but the extra weight did not help.

Prior to the polishing but after some adjusting, the primers would occasionally fall out the bottom. I can't figure out how this happens. After polishing and more adjusting, the primers feed if I cycle very very slowly. If I try to cycle the press at a normal speed, it won't feed primers but will occasionally shoot one forward and out of the top, over the shell plate - and it comes out . I can't figure out how this is happening either. The channel for the primer slide is smooth and there is no slop for the slide to move side to side - at least that I can tell.

This about covers it. I'v been playing with this every night for the past week and am out of ideas. Thanks in advance for your input.

No I haven't. These are S&B's and since they worked fine otherwise, I figured it was not a primer brand issue. I have some Winchester and CCI's on hand and will give them a shot. Thanks. I'm going to run this by Dillon this morning to see what they think. I'll post my progress.

On item that I came across in the 1050 manual has to do with the rocker set screw adjustment that controls the primer punch.  On page 20 of the May 2007 version of the manual posted on the Dillon website states  "The above photo shows the rocker arm set screw (#13226) being adjusted. The Super 1050 comes from the factory with this set screw properly adjusted, but over time it can move. When the rocker arm set screw is out of adjustment, it can dent primers and/or cause the primer slide to stick. "

Maybe something else to test/talk to Dillon about

Bolted to the rear of the frame, directly behind the primer slide, is a half-moon shaped stop. Be sure it is oriented so that the primer slide stops against this, and does not go past it.

Next, inspect the rear of your primer slide. It either has a brass roller on a screw, or a roll pin pressed into the bar. If it has a roll pin, there should be a rubber sleeve over this roll pin. If missing, the slide won't travel far enough. This rubber sleeve is merely a piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum tube. slice off a piece and slide it over the roll pin.

When adjusting the height of the primer cam/arm assembly, the bottom of the arm should almost drag in the primer slide channel. Adjust this by pulling the handle down and the primer slide in position under the shellplate. Loosen the clamp screw on the bracket that the primer cam/arm is pinned to, slide it down until the arm bottoms out in the primer slide track. Now lift this bracket up .010", about the thickness of a business card, and retighten the clamp screw.

Gave it a shot again tonight. My original primers were S&B. Tonight I tried CCI SRP's, Remington and Winchester SPP's. All yielded the same results. If I pull the handle at any speed other than super slow motion, it will not pick up the primer. When I go slow, it picks up all primers 100%. I don't get it. I'll call Dillon tomorrow and maybe find a local with better working knowledge of this press. Short of that, I'll have to send it in.

FWIW, I inserted the primer mag tube from my 550, but it performed as described above.

On 1/11/2017 at 0:48 PM, dillon said:

Bolted to the rear of the frame, directly behind the primer slide, is a half-moon shaped stop. Be sure it is oriented so that the primer slide stops against this, and does not go past it.

Next, inspect the rear of your primer slide. It either has a brass roller on a screw, or a roll pin pressed into the bar. If it has a roll pin, there should be a rubber sleeve over this roll pin. If missing, the slide won't travel far enough. This rubber sleeve is merely a piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum tube. slice off a piece and slide it over the roll pin.

When adjusting the height of the primer cam/arm assembly, the bottom of the arm should almost drag in the primer slide channel. Adjust this by pulling the handle down and the primer slide in position under the shellplate. Loosen the clamp screw on the bracket that the primer cam/arm is pinned to, slide it down until the arm bottoms out in the primer slide track. Now lift this bracket up .010", about the thickness of a business card, and retighten the clamp screw.

Can you post a picture showing the height adjustment of the primer cam/arm assembly?

I've always had trouble getting this adjusted correctly and currently wrap a piece of blue tape around the primer tube so that I can always return it to the same spot...  It would help to be able to actually adjust it correctly...  I can't tell where you measure the .010 gap from your description...  A picture would help, Thanks!

On 1/13/2017 at 8:59 AM, dillon said:

Sent you an email after viewing the photos.

Thank you. From looking at other pictures, I assumed the stop needed to be adjusted to contact the brass roller, not the back of the slide. The adjustment to the brass roller allowed over-travel rearward and that was giving me my feeding problems. I adjusted the stop to contact the back of the slide and we're running 100%. Thank you.

On 1/13/2017 at 10:43 AM, RaylanGivens said:

Can you post a picture showing the height adjustment of the primer cam/arm assembly?

I've always had trouble getting this adjusted correctly and currently wrap a piece of blue tape around the primer tube so that I can always return it to the same spot...  It would help to be able to actually adjust it correctly...  I can't tell where you measure the .010 gap from your description...  A picture would help, Thanks!

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

• I hope this helps.

• 6 years later...

Over six years later, this thread just saved me so much trouble shooting time. Had the exact same issue of that stupid half moon stopper resting on the brass roller and just about lost my mind trying to figure it out. 

sorry to resurrect, but wanted to give a huge thank you.