Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing slightly left, definitely not a reloading issue?

taymag

I am fairly new to the Glock platform (and USPSA) and I assume my trigger control isn't 100% yet, but I am missing left as the target get out there.

I'm not worried about this cause in USPSA most of these shots left are still "A" hits but I just wanted to make sure this isn't reloading related and that its total user error.

I assume if your reloads are inaccurate they will be inaccurate around the board right AKA missing left is total user error?

6 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

All loads or just one load?
If just one, possibly ammo, if all probably shooter.
The common short cut is more finger. If constant though drift or adjust sight is an option.

I just started noticing it, but I also just starting to put my targets out wayyy farther than I normally would because some of our setups.

I am fine with it, and figured it was a stupid question, but I finally feel like I have a load I am set on after changing bullets, powders, etc over the years and wanted a confirmation that its probably not the reload so I don't have to go do more testing in the stall

You may have to adjust your sights ...

Set your target "out wayyy farther" and get your gun tucked in

to some sandbags - keeps the gun real steady.   See where a 10 -15 shot

group goes (delete the 3-4 "flyers" and see where the others are.

Then, very slowly and deliberately, repeat that standing, holding the

gun you do during a match - see where the holes are.

If the center of your group is to the left, you can change your load

or your sights   :) 

p.s.  how far is "out wayyy farther"?

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You may have to adjust your sights ...

Set your target "out wayyy farther" and get your gun tucked in

to some sandbags - keeps the gun real steady.   See where a 10 -15 shot

group goes (delete the 3-4 "flyers" and see where the others are.

Then, very slowly and deliberately, repeat that standing, holding the

gun you do during a match - see where the holes are.

If the center of your group is to the left, you can change your load

or your sights   :) 

p.s.  how far is "out wayyy farther"?

I plan on trying this out next week. The reason I posted is cause I will be going to 2 practice matches before I test and its going to bother me thinking about it until I check it again :angry2:

Wayyyy farther to me isn't actually that far for some of you :) lol.. Id say 20 yards? After all these crazy things happening over the years in the U.S. I kind of went under the impression that unless someone was inside my personal space it would be questionable in a self defense argument, so I went for quick shot accuracy inside 10-15 yards.

Anyway, now I am in USPSA and there are some long shots so I am back to the longer shots.

10 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

20 yards is great.   After you get the gun sighted in at 20 yards, try a dozen

shots at 35 yards, just to see where the bullets land (you Might come across a 35

yard shot at a USPSA match).

I'm going to put the target out a little deeper next time I go to the range and check it out. When I show up and see a 30+ yard shot setup I just frown haha, but I also get a little closer to convincing myself I need to buy a G34 instead of a 17 :)

You seems knowledgeable, instead of starting a new thread ill just ask here, what are the rules for production and aftermarket parts? I wanted to shoot stock just so I enjoy any new trigger, etc more, but am I able to upgrade the trigger, connector, etc in production?

Thanks

Edited by taymag

Most new Glock shooters, even if they have previous other handgun experience, will throw left and sometimes low. It's just grip, and not ammo. Ammo will throw high or low, depending on weight. Production mods are very restrictive, but here is a whole thread on it.

Edited by 9x45

5 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Most new Glock shooters, even if they have previous other handgun experience, will throw left and sometimes low. It's just grip, and not ammo. Ammo will throw high or low, depending on weight. Production mods are very restrictive, but here is a whole thread on it.

Perfect, thanks. One thing I noticed that I need to make sure of though, does this mean a threaded barrel would be out of the question since its longer than factory?

A threaded barrel would put you into Open. Why the need for a threaded barrel anyway? The rules can be found here (all 6 pages for Production)

https://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

Appendix D.4 Production

After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, con- tour and caliber as original factory standard.

Edited by 9x45

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

A threaded barrel would put you into Open. Why the need for a threaded barrel anyway? The rules can be found here (all 6 pages for Production)

https://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

Appendix D.4 Production

After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, con- tour and caliber as original factory standard.

A few years back I went through a silencer phase hah. I rarely use them anymore but when I visit back home and shoot with people I still bring them since the majority of people that only shoot a few times a year find them the coolest thing since sliced bread. Glad I figured this out though, I will just buy a PSA threaded barrel and swap it out when needed

Shoot the gun lefthanded in a 2-handed grip.

It'll be super awkward but all of your mistakes will be in the opposite direction. Always the first thing I do with a user's "the gun shoots left"

(Since I'm a lefty I've been asked to help diagnose guns for my righty friends who are new to the sport.)

I'm not a fan of moving the sights because you don't learn to grip the gun properly and pull the trigger straight back nearly as quickly if you've set the gun up to hide your mistake. But to each his own.

If you're not (1) Gripping the gun really really hard with your support hand - harder than strong hand - you're inviting the gun to pull left. Also (2) play with your index finger placement on the trigger. Choke up to the first joint then push out nearly to the fingernail and shoot groups. See what changes.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shoot the gun lefthanded in a 2-handed grip.

It'll be super awkward but all of your mistakes will be in the opposite direction. Always the first thing I do with a user's "the gun shoots left"

(Since I'm a lefty I've been asked to help diagnose guns for my righty friends who are new to the sport.)

I'm not a fan of moving the sights because you don't learn to grip the gun properly and pull the trigger straight back nearly as quickly if you've set the gun up to hide your mistake. But to each his own.

If you're not (1) Gripping the gun really really hard with your support hand - harder than strong hand - you're inviting the gun to pull left. Also (2) play with your index finger placement on the trigger. Choke up to the first joint then push out nearly to the fingernail and shoot groups. See what changes.

Ill give it a shot. I shot pretty well tonight and think me last range trip I was going something odd. I don't plan on moving the sights, that seems like an odd fix and highly doubt theyre off

I'm confused as to why everyone is against moving the sights.  If a gun shoots consistently left wouldn't moving the sights just be zeroing the gun.  I don't know about you but I don't trust some guy in the factory to properly zero any of my guns.  My grip is good thats a non issue for me.