Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Machine recommendation for .223 reloading

Marksmanshipunit

Hello!

Could you guys tell me which machine is cheap and efficient for .223 reloading?

I'm planning to buy 1050 for 9mm, and I calculated additional things for .223 ( conversion kit, small rifle case feed plate, 1050 quick change, Die set - Carbide, Headspace case gage, and case lube. Since I don't know what to buy, I asked Dillon Precision through email and they recommend me to buy these items.) and it was +$627. 

Are there any cheaper ways to reload .223?

I don't shoot competition for .223 caliber. I just need this ammo for practicing 7~100 yards rifle drills.

If you are going to get the 1050 anyway then I would say set that press up to do 223 as well as 9mm.  The 1050 has the capability to swage primer pockets on the press, big plus.  You could cut a little bit from the $627 number by going with steel dies instead of carbide.  Your anticipated volume will dictate which dies are a logical choice.

I had this exact dilemma last month. However, I already have the S1050 for 9mm. In my case, due to the amount of 5.56 practice shooting I do, and the 308/6.5CM accuracy I pursue, I preferred to get a single station for rife loading. As others have stated, "the anticipated volume will dictate how much you will spend/save". Once you have this figured out, then ask yourself, how much time do you want to spend reloading at your bench. This will also dictate what gear/tools you will end up with. (Example: Instead of a manual trimmer, reamer/chamfer you may end up with a Giraud power trimmer. Instead of a balanced beam and rotary powder dispenser, you may end up with an RCBS Chargemaster, and so on)

Good luck, be safe, and welcome to a new addiction!

Edited by LowBoost

8 hours ago, Glock021 said:

If you are going to get the 1050 anyway then I would say set that press up to do 223 as well as 9mm.  The 1050 has the capability to swage primer pockets on the press, big plus.  You could cut a little bit from the $627 number by going with steel dies instead of carbide.  Your anticipated volume will dictate which dies are a logical choice.

Thank you for the tip!

Which one do you recommend me to buy if I'm gonna use 10k~20k a year?

7 hours ago, LowBoost said:

I had this exact dilemma last month. However, I already have the S1050 for 9mm. In my case, due to the amount of 5.56 practice shooting I do, and the 308/6.5CM accuracy I pursue, I preferred to get a single station for rife loading. As others have stated, "the anticipated volume will dictate how much you will spend/save". Once you have this figured out, then ask yourself, how much time do you want to spend reloading at your bench. This will also dictate what gear/tools you will end up with. (Example: Instead of a manual trimmer, reamer/chamfer you may end up with a Giraud power trimmer. Instead of a balanced beam and rotary powder dispenser, you may end up with an RCBS Chargemaster, and so on)

Good luck, be safe, and welcome to a new addiction!

WOW. I have an exact same situation you had. I have to reload 6.5CM too since the bullet is so expensive.

I'm planning to spend approximately 40k for 9mm, 10k~20k for .223, and maybe around 1k~2k for 6.5CM per year.

hmm... I really don't know how much time I can spend for reloading because I'm a newbie lol so I know nothing about reloading.

What kind of reloader you got for single station?

Yeah that volume get the 1050 conversion bits and setup two 223 toolheads, one for processing brass and one for loading.  I bought a Forster I plan to use for loading precision/long range 223 for my MK12, but will do range ammo in bulk on the 1050.  Would also suggest the carbide 223 dies, although you will still need case lube, but they will last a lot longer.

16 hours ago, Marksmanshipunit said:

WOW. I have an exact same situation you had. I have to reload 6.5CM too since the bullet is so expensive.

I'm planning to spend approximately 40k for 9mm, 10k~20k for .223, and maybe around 1k~2k for 6.5CM per year.

hmm... I really don't know how much time I can spend for reloading because I'm a newbie lol so I know nothing about reloading.

What kind of reloader you got for single station?

I got a Forster Co-Ax for my rifle loading. However, if I were shooting 10k - 20k for .223, I would get another 1050. To save some $$$, you certainly can get the toolheads and caliber conversion kit for your existing, BUT reloading 40k for 9mm already, plus the time to install+setup the conversion kit takes too much of my precious time. I rather spend a little extra on another 1050 and have everything ready to load whatever I need at any given time.

Of course... that's my .02 cents, but it is you who needs to decide what to do with your time and how much time you want to spend loading vs shooting.

21 hours ago, safeactionjackson said:

For the volume you mentioned, I add another tool head for the 1050 (don't forget you can always add a trimmer, with another tool of course... that would allow you to process it one pass, and reload on the second by simply changing the tool head out).

Thank you! Have a good holiday :)

7 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Yeah that volume get the 1050 conversion bits and setup two 223 toolheads, one for processing brass and one for loading.  I bought a Forster I plan to use for loading precision/long range 223 for my MK12, but will do range ammo in bulk on the 1050.  Would also suggest the carbide 223 dies, although you will still need case lube, but they will last a lot longer.

Thank you!

Do you use Forster bc of the accuracy of the ammo?

5 hours ago, LowBoost said:

I got a Forster Co-Ax for my rifle loading. However, if I were shooting 10k - 20k for .223, I would get another 1050. To save some $$$, you certainly can get the toolheads and caliber conversion kit for your existing, BUT reloading 40k for 9mm already, plus the time to install+setup the conversion kit takes too much of my precious time. I rather spend a little extra on another 1050 and have everything ready to load whatever I need at any given time.

Of course... that's my .02 cents, but it is you who needs to decide what to do with your time and how much time you want to spend loading vs shooting.

do you mean buying two 1050? How long it takes to install+setup conversion kit??

I'm fine with the reloading speed if it is not super slow :D 

3 hours ago, Marksmanshipunit said:

Thank you!

Do you use Forster bc of the accuracy of the ammo?

Yeah, for bulk/range ammo it's not critical, but for accuracy/match/precision stuff, a single stage method will always create more consistent ammo.  As part of the process one will individually weigh out powder,sort cases by headstamp and lot no, perhaps even sort bullet by weight for true match ammo, etc.  For my 55gr range blaster ammo,the 1050 will do fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 5:54 PM, armydad said:

As I recall, Dillon recommends steel dies for rifle unless you're commercial loading. My steel dies work great. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're loading, you're also processing. That doubles the use of dies, buy once, cry once.  I use my 1050 for processing only and load on the 650.  With 0ver 80K documented pcs of 223 processed. That extra $$ spent up front pays off in the long run. 

If you're buying a 1050 you intend to load in volume, over time. IMO that is commercial loading.