Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sticky mags in my Stock II

MissionaryMike

By my recollection, the issue of large frame mags not dropping freely has come up before, but is usually addressed by reconfiguring a base pad/magwell combo. That's not my issue.  I believe someone resolved a similar issue by gently reshaping the mag tube in a vise.  Does anyone recall this?  The search function didn't help me. 

Thanks in advance,

-MM

Break the front edge of the "disconnector rail". Polish the inside of the magwell.

It seems to go away somewhat as the mag springs break in too.

I also fully polish my mags now. They go into the tumbler for a week.

Does this only occur when dryfiring with empty mags?

On the K9 and CDNN mags, I can misalign the follower up between the feed lips and they'll stick in the gun when inserted with the slide closed. The follower binds to the side of the slide stop's tab, instead of pushing upward on the bottom of it.

If you load a dummy round (or live one) and they magically begin dropping free, that's your issue. You can't duplicate this issue with live fire at all.

Rock the follower forward and downward at the front and that fixes the issue I'm describing as well.

UPDATE:

Thanks to all of you for trying to diagnose my issue.  So from watching Pat's video again, it seemed as if I was suffering from the same "fat mag" issue.  He put his mags into a vise and squeezed the top and bottom of the mags (front to back).  From the markings and rubbings that were appearing on the inside the grip frame, I decided to do the same thing.  I pressed the top portion of a mag, where it tapers from the rest of the body, and checked for function.  It dropped perfectly.  I didn't bother squeezing the bottom.  I only fixed one of the mags this way.  I have another mag that does the same thing.  I'll try the same fix when I get home tonight.

Again, thanks all.

-MM

I'd like to caution anyone who might and will experience this same issue, it IS possible to "resize" the mags too much.  If you do, after reassembling the mag, the follower will protrude further out on the front end (bullet side) of the mag.  What I mean is, the follower will stick out too high, which results in not being able to seat the mag at all.  It's caused by reduced retention from the area right in front of the feed lips.  Just squeeze that part back down a little bit and you're golden.  Propper follower retention, as well as a resized mag that will actually insert and drop out correctly.

Edited by MissionaryMike

I just received my Christmas present to myself and I'm wondering if I should open them.....a big box full of CDNN $14.99 K-9s. Up until now I've only used the Mec-Gars.  I know they're supposed to be exactly the same but it sounds like the fat mag issue is happening to the K-9s only. 

Can anybody shed some more light on this? Have any Mec-Gars ended up sticking or just K9? Is the issue wide spread or just Pat and a couple of others?

Thanks everyone.