Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Year Old Reporting, "cobra In The Yard!"

John Dunn

This evening my 3 year old comes running in the house to report a "cobra" in the yard. I asked what color it was, expecting her to answer purple or some other fanciful color. Instead she replied it had brown spots and was buzzing!

Further investigation revealed a smallish rattler a little over two feet in length in the front yard. I'm so thankful that my wife and I have often reinforced to the kids what to do if they find a snake, and that the lessons worked today.

Now we'll have to let her watch Animal Planet a little more, so she can tell the difference between a cobra and a rattlesnake. :D

That gets the heart to pumping!! Kids and buzz-tails are a real concern. You never really know if you have gotten the point across until an event like this happens.

My kids border on phobic, which is not good either because you have to know where the snake is, before you bolt. Sounds like you taught her well.

I love this stuff!

Country kids get some great experiences. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Please tell her I'm very proud of her for doing the right thing and telling Dad.

....sunglasses.....if its a cobra, you gotta wear sunglasses, like Steve Irwin. B)

Remember though all snakes don't have buzzers :)

To add to the hysteria... I went out back to try and root out an evil tree frog that was keeping me awake. Didn't find the frog but it was a nice night and I decided to lean up against the wall and soak in the night air and moon. Lets just call it mediation.

I walked toward the wall while looking at the crescent moon. I reached out my hand to prop against the wall and then looked to make sure I was going to contact the wall. I noticed something odd about the wall and stopped.

In the end it was a 2 foot pygmy rattlesnake (no buzzer, smaller, and meaner than a rattler) strectched horizontal and 6 foot up on my stucco wall. My stopping point was about 3Inches before putting my hand dead center its back.

I guess it was hunting frogs as well :) It isn't any more.

Steven

This evening my 3 year old comes running in the house to report a "cobra" in the yard.  I asked what color it was, expecting her to answer purple or some other fanciful color.  Instead she replied it had brown spots and was buzzing!

Further investigation revealed a smallish rattler a little over two feet in length in the front yard.  I'm so thankful that my wife and I have often reinforced to the kids what to do if they find a snake, and that the lessons worked today.

Now we'll have to let her watch Animal Planet a little more, so she can tell the difference between a cobra and a rattlesnake. :D

Sounds like a Warrior Princess in training!

Good work, to both of you.

Scene: Summer in small town in Salinas Valley, CA... semi-rural and dry. I was just a kid, dressed in my guns and cowboy outfit as usual. I was playing on/with one of those wooden hobby-horse things (that you straddle and run around pretending you're riding a horse) which, of course had a pole extending to the ground. Next thing I knew a rattlesnake (on grandmother's front porch, no less) was winding its way UP the pole at me (it caught my attention because it was rattling). I called for my grandmother--who came running, to say the least--and she told me to drop the horse and get in the house... which I did... so I don't recall how she dispatched the snake. But knowing her nature and knowing that she had a handgun, I imagine she shot the thing. I wish I'd seen it all. Kind of a freaky moment altogether. Snakes are pretty quiet and sneaky for the most part. If it hadn't ratttled I might not be here. :ph34r:

Hey John, I have watched the show Venom ER on tv, those snakes do a lot of damage. I'm not sure what I would do about the kids playing outside if I lived in your area. Glad your situation turned out good.

When I was little we always had Cobras in our yard. My dad had a blue one and a green one........his friend had a white one. They were much more fun than a rattle snake and they make a ton of noise. And we could get a ride when ever we wanted. Those Cobras are on cable tv, but on a different channel. hahaha Later, Karl @ GT

I gave my son a little Rossi "matched pair." It's a single shot .22lr and - swap the barrel and it's a .410 single shot. It's short and handy.

With the .410 barrel in place, it's the best little snake charmer around!