Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2

RickyH

4 minutes ago, eboadway said:

I've been able to load Xtreme's the longest - it depends of the shape of the ogive...

Well, it actually depends if Tanfo sent you a barrel that's within specs. Everyone should plunger and spin... no matter what profile they're loading. 

For most bullet profiles you want to shoot in matches (fat round noses or flat-points or square-shouldered SWCs in the 124-147gr range) you'll find you need to load them much shorter than you would for other firearms.

If it's something that tapers quickly and the ogive or shoulder of the bullet is friendly, you might be able to load to a 'normal' length. Load up some dummies and plunk them in the barrel to see if they spin. If not, they're in the rifling and you need to shorten things up and try again.

Very short throat indeed, I would say under sami . You must find a bullet with a more of a secant ogive profile . Zero 147 JHP seem to fit the bill perfectly for my use , prefered OAL for this projectile is 1.150 in my Stock 2 , which is at .015 -.020 jump . As an example of how short mine is a Berry's 124 HBFP would engage the rifling at 1.040 and Montana Gold 124 JHP was the same . No Bueno , woulda looked like some mutant 380 auto rounds

Just as a FYI thing...

I sent mine to Bevin Grams... When I was talking to him about it, he said he had to add like 15% or more to the length of the chamber. I don't have any more light strikes and I haven't changed anything recently exept the chamber.

I'm running a 14lbs hammer spring and have a 2lbs 5oz SA pull and a 5lbs 5 oz DA pull. 

4 hours ago, LeviSS said:

When you send a barrel to Grams, do you just tell him you want it reamed, or is there something specific you have to tell him?

I made dummy rounds to the specs that I desire (A rather fat 135gr bullet loaded all the way out at 1.155") and sent the barrel out with a note to get those rounds to plunk & spin freely.

I'll let you know what the result was at the end of the week when my package is back.

Just a clarification on terminology,  I don't think you folks mean reaming the chamber. I think you mean reaming the throat. Normally you do not want to change the headspace just the free bore or throat to allow bullets to be seated longer.

5 hours ago, lesm said:

Just a clarification on terminology,  I don't think you folks mean reaming the chamber. I think you mean reaming the throat. Normally you do not want to change the headspace just the free bore or throat to allow bullets to be seated longer.

(Ary)

Just a clarification on the out of spec barrels - we talked with Tanfo engineers, and the tooling for the barrels was off by many dimentions, not just what you listed. So while I see what you're saying, in this specific incidence, many of the dimentions are off.

That being said, Bevin had a custom reamer made that does all of the above; that's the reason he is the go-to for the fix at this moment in time.  

I tried to run both a Mason and Cymler reamer through my barrel to lengthen the leade. Neither one will fit far enough into the chamber to begin working on the rifling.

So in this instance, lesm, your nomenclature-Naziism isn't quite justified. ;) 

Mine is on it's way to Bevin now.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

(Ary)

Just a clarification on the out of spec barrels - we talked with Tanfo engineers, and the tooling for the barrels was off by many dimentions, not just what you listed. So while I see what you're saying, in this specific incidence, many of the dimentions are off.

That being said, Bevin had a custom reamer made that does all of the above; that's the reason he is the go-to for the fix at this moment in time.  

Yes, I'm pretty sure Tanfo accidentally hired rabid monkeys on crack to build the barrels. That's the only reasonable explanation for the wild variations.

Memphis Mechanic,   very sorry if my comments bothered you or anyone else. I just did not want anyone to accidently lengthen their headspace with a  chamber reamer.

I would like to tell you how my efforts went.  I had a standard Manson throating reamer that I had used on other 9mm rifled barrels but it would not fit into the polygon barrel.  I talked to Dave Manson and had him make a throating reamer with a rotating pilot bushing on the front ( .3405" ) that fits the poly barrels.   So far I have reamed the throat on 5 Stock 2's and 6 Limited's  with perfect results.    When I started with all this I had not become aware that Grams was providing this service.  

I read that Grams does great work and is reasonable.  Now it makes sense to just send them to him especially if there are other parameters that need attention besides the throat length.