Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of barrel life to expect from a Shadow?

ArrDave

I picked up an unknown round count old Shadow.  The guy before me probably low balled me and said he had 7k rounds through it so lets call that 12-15k.  I have 9k through it.  The guy before him had it for 3 years - lets assume he shot it for 2 years, then lost interest and sold it for a total guess is 15k rounds.  so it probably has 25k-40k rounds.  I'm pretty sure accuracy is degrading.  Running drills with it as my practice gun my accuracy is sub standard from what it was 3-4 months ago.   With my accushadow match gun with the same grips (different sights), my accuracy is considerably better.  My carry gun (75B with springs, OEM plastic grips)  I was doing about the same as my accushadow.  I think I'm to a point where I think the barrel needs replacing. Does that sound appropriate?  In my mind the barrel would last longer than that but I've never really run the count up on a handgun before quite like that.  

40 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

How does the bushing look?

What specifically am I looking for?  

In other news, the barrel is pretty dirty, but I've not experienced a decrease in accuracy due to a dirty barrel from it before... it's probably been 3-5k rounds since I last cleaned the bore.   

When you clean the bore does the edges of the rifling look sharp? Did you slug the barrel yet to find out what the groove diameter comes out to be? When you lay the barrel in the slide is there excess movement between the hood and the locking lugs? When the gun is in battery can you move the muzzle up and down or side to side? These would be the things you would check to find out if the barrel is showing excessive wear. The barrel should outlast the bushing so unless you have a lot of slop between the hood and the locking lugs and if the rifling still looks sharp a change to a 10X bushing would most likely improve your accuracy. I would spend the $67.00 first and change the bushing, Even if you find the barrel fails the tests you would still be better off with the 10X bushing fitted to your new barrel so there is no down side to changing the cheaper option first. I have had some real dogs in the accuracy department that the 10X cured right away.