Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC open and case head separations

TeedOff

A lot of great info in this thread.  Thanks guys!

Ive never had to have the headspace checked on a pistol.  Gunsmith or back to STI?  It's nearly new...just got it two weeks ago maybe put 500 rounds thru it. 

On 11/7/2016 at 8:40 AM, teros135 said:

I'm going to have to give that a try.  Just came over to 9major, and with the short case and 1.165" OAL it's a bit more exacting than standard 9mm.

Is it the EGW die we want, or the Lee?

On 11/7/2016 at 8:43 AM, Sarge said:

They both work and cost about the same once you figure shipping. I THINK the EGW has a little more milled off the bottom to size lower.

Lee makes the die for EGW.  That being said I always buy the EGW.

14 hours ago, TeedOff said:

A lot of great info in this thread.  Thanks guys!

Ive never had to have the headspace checked on a pistol.  Gunsmith or back to STI?  It's nearly new...just got it two weeks ago maybe put 500 rounds thru it. 

Either.  Or you can spend about $30 for go/no go headspace gauges from Manson to get a rough idea yourself.  

The fact that it's new just means there is possibly some oversight at STI.  Since another failure was just mentioned above in a new DVC this past weekend, there may be a bad batch.  Or there may not, these things do happen.  

Still, STI just seems to continually be a small gamble on whether you get a good one or not.  

23 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Either.  Or you can spend about $30 for go/no go headspace gauges from Manson to get a rough idea yourself.  

The fact that it's new just means there is possibly some oversight at STI.  Since another failure was just mentioned above in a new DVC this past weekend, there may be a bad batch.  Or there may not, these things do happen.  

Still, STI just seems to continually be a small gamble on whether you get a good one or not.  

> headspace gauges from Manson

Got any more specific details?

On November 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM, theWacoKid said:

I agree.  The proper long run fix is probably a chamber more in spec.  I'd have it checked out for excessive headspace or dimensions.  

I took a mic(caliber guage) and put it up against chamber mouth