Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated bullets

rmj339

Depends on the plated bullet. Many of the bullet manufacturers make a double plated bullet that is good to 1500 fps. I use Rocky Mountain hardcore 9mm, or Rainier 38 super match without any problems. If I try to use single plated (I've tried), the bullets keyhole and aren't accurate at all. If the bullets you have aren't specifically advertised as being able to handle the speed, save them for minor loads. I load my major 9 to 1400 fps with a 124 bullet.

1 hour ago, rmj339 said:

Can you use plated bullets in an open gun with a comp.   I have heard both ways .   Just starting out loading for this gun I have plenty of bayou 124. But was wondering what I should try 1st.  Thanks

Yes

Most all I f the coated bullets are fine at open velocities. I have been  testing BBI and they are exceptionally accurate but they smoke quite a bit compared to plated or jacketed.

Xtreme plated are the least accurate bullets I have ever tested. Their HP's are rated for 1500+ as well as the HPCB roundnose.

On 11/5/2016 at 11:11 PM, rmj339 said:

Can you use plated bullets in an open gun with a comp.   I have heard both ways .   Just starting out loading for this gun I have plenty of bayou 124. But was wondering what I should try 1st.  Thanks

I would go with a jacketed bullet for open. Montana golds and precision deltas are popular. plated bullets don't handle the major velocities very well. lots of people experience key holing with plated. the coated bullets work but I had issues with them getting lead in my comps. it's kind of a pain to scrape out so I ditched the coated bullets with a compensator.

40 minutes ago, Bullets said:

I would go with a jacketed bullet for open. Montana golds and precision deltas are popular. plated bullets don't handle the major velocities very well. lots of people experience key holing with plated. the coated bullets work but I had issues with them getting lead in my comps. it's kind of a pain to scrape out so I ditched the coated bullets with a compensator.

Plated bullets that are rated for 1500 hold up just fine. Regular plated will not. Even at minor PF they are still less accurate than anything else for me.

as for cleaning comps, mini bead blasters make it a two minute job about twice a year

On 11/5/2016 at 10:56 PM, Bkreutz said:

Depends on the plated bullet. Many of the bullet manufacturers make a double plated bullet that is good to 1500 fps. I use Rocky Mountain hardcore 9mm, or Rainier 38 super match without any problems. If I try to use single plated (I've tried), the bullets keyhole and aren't accurate at all. If the bullets you have aren't specifically advertised as being able to handle the speed, save them for minor loads. I load my major 9 to 1400 fps with a 124 bullet.

I'm using the same RMR bullets and I love them. Like you said, even at major velocities they hold up well. I probably wouldn't run a plated 115 at major velocities, but 124s are good when the plating is thick enough. 

I've never had any luck with plated bullets in an open gun, plus they're priced within a few buck a thousand of precision delta jacketed bullets.

ive been shooting blue bullets in open for a couple of years,  yes the gun does get a little more dirty than shooting jacketed, and there is lead build up in the comp, which takes me less than a minute to scrape out when a clean my gun, but the case price is almost $20 cheaper a thousand than jacketed and they preform about the same a jacketed in my guns