Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shot minor rules revo now?

41mag

I really liked shooting my 625 and was a little sad for the rule change at first.  But the lack of standing reloads and additional options makes it fun to shoot.  Plus the bullets are quite a bit cheaper, I've been shooting more on the same budget since I got a 929.

So Looked back over the match results for 2016 at my home range (Rayners Range http://www.raynersrange.com/archive/2016/2016.html ) and it looks like they might be averaging more revo shooters now then when I was shooting. And the SS turn out looks more meager then the revo shooters.

Rayners Range is an awesome place to shoot USPSA for several reasons and one being that you can reshoot in a different division (reshoot scores don't count for the match). So to sort things out I think I will try sticking with revo with the 627 and try other divisions by reshooting the match. Ill pay close attention to the larger matchs that I like to shoot for the number of revo shooters that sign up. Ill make the 2017 season a practice run to see if I can shoot worth a hoot and to decide which division I want to compete in. Then Ill be classified again and ready to go full bore in 2018. Lost my classification. My new card has all X's.

11 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

I really liked shooting my 625 and was a little sad for the rule change at first.  But the lack of standing reloads and additional options makes it fun to shoot.  Plus the bullets are quite a bit cheaper, I've been shooting more on the same budget since I got a 929.

After you recoup the moon cost and don't have to many stepped on my the pasters maybe :). I have over a K clips for the 625 and always had all the ammo for a match loaded into clips and plunk tested before a match. What little 627 shooting I have done was enough to know that the 627 clips are easy to get bent.

• 2 weeks later...

I too had just got a 5" 625-4 all setup when they changed the rules.  I had been shooting a 686 in minor, was finally getting better and had moved up a class just about the time it changed.  I still shot the 686 for awhile but it seemed that every shooting position was an 8 shot array so I jumped to SS out of frustration.  

Now I'm building a PCC gun and I am going to pick up a CO gun because my eyes don't work like they used too.  I may grab one of the round guns every once in awhile just for fun, but SS, CO and PCC is what it will be for me.

I would've thought it would bring more, especially with 9mm revos allowing people to run the same ammo they do in other divisions.

The excitement about the 8-shot change had died down by the time S&W actually made the 929 widely available.

On 11/25/2016 at 7:38 PM, FWSixgunner said:

I would've thought it would bring more, especially with 9mm revos allowing people to run the same ammo they do in other divisions.

Pretty much nobody runs their Production ammo (or factory stuff) in a 929.  As a rule, those who have had good results with the 929 load specific revolver ammo for it.  

11 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Pretty much nobody runs their Production ammo (or factory stuff) in a 929.  As a rule, those who have had good results with the 929 load specific revolver ammo for it.  

I would add that no matter what you tell them, or how many of them you tell, they all THINK they are going to run the same ammo. :lol: