Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlanta Arms 9mm Major 147 grain

andersonj55126

I just stumbled on to this 9 major load that Atlanta Arms is selling. Any thoughts on 147 grain major load? What do you guys think about 147 grain having lower pressure?

9MM MAJOR 147GR JHP ELITE

Bullet: 147GR 

Velocity: 1170 FPS ±

OAL: 1.145”

Grade: Elite

AA Part # N9147MJR 

Atlanta Arms 9mm Major 147 grain was designed specifically for the competition shooter. The 147 grain bullet allows the round to reduce overall pressure while maintaining the major power factor. This projectile has been the softest shooting major competition round we have ever made.

Major Power Factor: 165

http://atlantaarms.com/products/9mm-major-147gr-jhp-elite.html

I got some of this to function test an open gun before all my reloading equipment showed up. It works for that purpose.

This load was developed on a trubor from what AA told me. It may not make power factor on certain pistols, especially if you have a lot of Popple holes. 

If this is your option for major ammo (i.e. You won't be reloading) I would not bother with open (or limited for that matter). Go play in production where loading your own ammo is only a slight edge over buying factory ammo. 

*** if you are just wondering about loading your own 147 ammo, the heavier the bullet, the less gas you have to work the comp***

Edited by MHitchcock

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I guess you may be right - but I've never heard of "too much gas" in open ...    :mellow:

That's what popple holes are for right? hahaha. In all seriousness though, it's all about tuning your load to your gun and your particular taste.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I guess you may be right - but I've never heard of "too much gas" in open ...    :mellow:

Hear is some good info that references too much gas.

IMG_1441.PNG

Edited by Garmil