Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro Forward Slide Serrations

Steve O'Connell

I am looking for a shop that will add forward slide serrations to my M&P Pro 5".  Cerakote refinishing would be required as well.  I am in the Seattle area so close-by is a plus but I don't mind shipping.  I would prefer it not take months to get it back.

Any recommendations on types of serrations, other pros and cons?  What shop to do the work?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Lior said:

When I shot the M&P Pro in IPSC, I got good service from some Guntape GT5000 on the front slide. It might not be what your'e looking for Steve but it did the job.

Interesting idea.  That looks like it may be worth a try if for no other reason than as a test to see if I really can make use forward serrations.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2016 at 1:02 PM, Heyman2 said:

Besides for looks, why do you want serrations on the front of your slide?

I took a class from Keith Garcia and he had us doing a drill to load and make ready an empty pistol from the table on the clock.  It's hard to describe but after getting full-firing grip on the gun you rotate it to the right (I'm right handed), slap the magazine in with your left hand, snap the pistol 180 degrees left, grab the forward end of the slide in the web of your hand between your left thumb and forefinger and rack it.  Snapping the pistol back upright puts the left had in place to complete the grip and fire.  It's bloody fast with practice.  The M&P shape and smooth finish doesn't lend itself to the drill because my hand slips down the slide and allows the web of my hand to enter the loading port just in time to get pinched occasionally.  I just need more traction for that brief instant.  It also occurs tome that the pistol may be oversprung but that's a quagmire I am not prepared to enter yet.

If you're shooting a 9mm, don't worry about having serrations cut into it. Replace the factory recoil spring with a 13-lb ISMI flat wire spring on the factory guide rod.

I ran an M&P 9L like that for 6 years. Never had "web of hand" traction issues while racking the gun that way at all.

Pinch the gun between the fleshy bases of your thumb and index finger, too, by the way.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you're shooting a 9mm, don't worry about having serrations cut into it. Replace the factory recoil spring with a 13-lb ISMI flat wire spring on the factory guide rod.

I ran an M&P 9L like that for 6 years. Never had "web of hand" traction issues while racking the gun that way at all.

Pinch the gun between the fleshy bases of your thumb and index finger, too, by the way.

It is a 9mm.  How does that compare to the stock spring?  I run 147gr Freedom hollow points for matches.  Will the 13lb spring work for those too?

Full disclosure, I'm trying really hard not to order a Brazos HP Edge 2011.

The gun comes with a 17lb spring.

And you'll love it with 147s - it'll shoot flatter. There's a reason everyone you shoot against is going to be running a lighter weight recoil spring.

I run an 8 pound one in the Tanfoglio I switched to after switching from the M&P, but that slide also has to cock a 14-lb hammer spring on it's way back. Spring weights off of guns like 2011s and hammer-fired production guns are always even lighter than you'd use in an M&P, XD, or Glock.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Precision Tactical does awesome work on M&P slides. Based in Crestview, FL, and they do great Cerakote work as well. Shoot me a PM for pics of a couple slides they've done for me. Or just check out their FB page for pics.