Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The effect of frame weight on recoil control

ArrDave

Does frame weight really affect recoil control?  I posted this video testing it with my different production guns to see.  Maybe results are different with a 40/38sc.  What am I missing here?  It doesn't seem to, IMO.  What are other ways to test it? 

Testing the difference between a CZ 75B vs. CZ SP01 Shadow Custom vs. CZ AccuShadow

Edited by ArrDave

Maybe replace the idea that it's about you controlling recoil so much but rather what you're trying to do is get the sights back to the same place, in the same orientation as consistently and quickly as you as an individual can.

Don't think of the gun overall so much as what you can accomplish with the sights while shooting the gun. Whether from gun weight, that weight's location, springs, ammo, grip style, grip strength ect....

Just brain storming here.....

Better yet, compare them to an XD, M&P, or a Glock.

My M&P 9L is a 26 oz gun. The Tanfoglio Stock 3 I'm switching to? 43oz.

There's only a few ounces difference between those CZ models, really. Compare an SP-01 to a polymer-framed gun and you might see a little more.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, ArrDave said:

What am I missing here?   What are other ways to test it? 

Your method is subjective (handheld). An objective method is required for true comparison. This means shooting from a mechanical device, such as a Ransom Rest, and making measurements of gun (rocker arm) movement. 

15 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

This is actually something I plan on testing when my stock 2 shows up. Plan to compare it to my glock 34. 22 oz gun vs 43 oz gun should be interesting 

A buddy was shooting his g34 and then my 40sw stock 2 major.  he thought it was a 9 minor gun as he said it was lighter recoiling than the glock. 

In fairness, he shot 9mm factory ammo and the 40 was 200gr light recoiling handloads, but still 172pf.

1 hour ago, superdude said:

Your method is subjective (handheld). An objective method is required for true comparison. This means shooting from a mechanical device, such as a Ransom Rest, and making measurements of gun (rocker arm) movement. 

I'm more interested in determining if it's an exploitable advantage.  If I can't realize the benefit on the clock, then is it really a benefit at all other than bragging rights? 

2 hours ago, yoshidaex said:

What weight did CZ submit to USPSA for those 3 guns?

Probably not a huge difference between those 3 but if you compare it to the most heaviest of production guns.....

SP01 Shadows - 42 oz(x2) vs. 75B 35.3 oz vs. 75C 33 oz.