Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why will some 9mm cases not resize?

LilTMoney

Sort the cases and set aside all the ones with the shoulder on the inside, then sell them for scrap.  Many people have trouble with case separation at the point where the shoulder starts (looking from case mouth) and there are three or possibly more brands with the shoulder.

Remember, used primers and scrap brass sell for the same price, so save all the used primers and sell them also.

Your title say 9mm cases, but the pictures of your case gauge are of 40S&W. Don't know what difference that might make, but I am wondering which caliber you are discussing?

My mess up, was thinking that was a pic I had of 9mm, not 40.

Regardless of caliber, I use Hornady dies and a Lee FCD. When i encounter a bulged case I go slow on the resizing stroke. Since going slow, less than 1% fail to gauge. The rounds that fail, still drop in/out of my barrel.

I am talking about 9mm, those are pictures someone else posted to show they are having the same issue. Here is one of mine. This is a custom case gauge made by grams engineering to match my sti barrel. All the ones that will not drop are almost identical to this one.

20161024_191243-1_resized.jpg

Edited by LilTMoney
Forgot to mention some information

7 hours ago, LilTMoney said:

I am talking about 9mm, those are pictures someone else posted to show they are having the same issue. Here is one of mine. This is a custom case gauge made by grams engineering to match my sti barrel. All the ones that will not drop are almost identical to this one.

20161024_191243-1_resized.jpg

Pull the bullet, resize it again without the pin, and see if it fails the gauge..

On 10/25/2016 at 4:12 PM, Sarge said:

Only problem with your display is those are not Glock striker marks on all of those sticking way up

I was going to say the same... these days many are not aware that the modern generations of Glocks actually have more case support than many other manufacturers in the market.

16 hours ago, hceuterpe said:

Pull the bullet, resize it again without the pin, and see if it fails the gauge..

I've said this numerous times... if you don't gauge you sized brass before loading, you can't make a determination that its actually the brass that is the problem.

9 minutes ago, Boxerglocker said:

I've said this numerous times... if you don't gauge you sized brass before loading, you can't make a determination that its actually the brass that is the problem.

That's what I meant.  check just the sized brass in the gauge, without bullet...

On 10/27/2016 at 6:04 AM, LilTMoney said:

Wheelie never heard of using that die to remove a buldge? Are you just running the case all the way up?

Yes, the shell holder touching the bottom of the die, no cam-over, hard contact. I also made a decap rod for that die and use the die with decapping rod as the first step in processing range brass. The die will not size the case mouth to hold a bullet, (remember we're working with a tapered case here) but it does squish the base down enough to fit any standard chamber.  Any case that I run through this die and with reasonable force on the handle will gage properly when full length sized in a standard die. Any .380s in the bucket show obviously lower effort to size and wrecked 9mm are much harder to size. Once you get the hang of it, this upgrades your quality inspection and control quite a bit.

Another other really good solution is to roll size the brass. The machine is pretty expensive but it will surely fix bulged brass. Sometimes you can buy brass processed this way. Its still cheap, so if you find some, that's another way to skin this cat.

Edited by wheelie