Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 9mm Major Loader

Timp

I was going to order some brass from starline to load 9mm. I have 1000's of rounds of 9mm, but i was wondering of I needed to use 9mm+p rated brass for 9mm major, or if regular 9mm is ok to use.

Thanks

Tim

Back in the 1990's when Major-9 was big in UK, we always used +P cases. This was back in the days when the PF was 175. With the lower power factor regular brass should be ok, but if it were me, I'd still get the +P brass, it should last longer.

I got nickel Speer brass from brassmanbrass.com - no problems so far, at all. 124gr bullets loaded to 1350 to 1395fps. Some of the cases say +P, some don't.

A person I trust about these things said that Speer makes all their 9x19 cases the same but the +P headstamp goes on their +P rated ammo for law enforcement.

• 4 weeks later...

FROM STARLINE BRASS:

9MM+P has no difference from the standard 9mm Luger other than headstamp designation for load segregation. Due to standard case design, will handle +P pressures with no problems.

I finally got around to Starline Brass to check for the info. Don't waste your money on the +P stuff.

"How many reloads are you folks getting out of major 9 load? I've gone 3 so far with no signs of problems. "

Am I being paranoid by only using 1x fired 9x19mm? I load 9Major using 3N38 compressed, N350 and Power Pistol to USPSA's 165+ PF. Pressures appear reasonable.

I have a rational basis for my paranoia I think: the brass I do not buy comes from the commercial range where I run a small club match. We sell all our brass to a commercial reloader who reloads it & sells it back to us. Year after year this goes on. How many loads are on some of that brass? Likely its been reloaded dozens of times. I guess I am leary of loading such mystery brass to Major. I use that stuff for minor.

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com