Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stipple vs Silicon Carbide?

FlashAndPoof

Silicon carbide can be glued on or done by grip tape. I would suggest using Talon grip tape first, as it can be removed and replaced.....or just removed if you don't prefer it. I personally like silicon carbide grips. Not all shooters do though. Before you send your gun to be stippled try someone else's.  The worst part is that it is all shooter's preference. You could also try a grip enhancer like "Dry Hands" and or a chalk ball. Keeping your hands completely dry helps a lot.

I stippled my xd and loved it.. Made the jump and did an SC job on it and holy crap!!! SC all the way. I used a 40-60 grit and it's way more than enough. I did however shape the grip and make it a little smaller so that the SC didn't just make a bigger grip. Keep that in mind!

Sorry for the poor quality SC grip didn't realize it came out that crappy.

SC grip.jpg

STIPPLE grip.jpg

I'm in the same boat right now, I will be sending in my G34 in to TTI next week and am still trying to figure out if i want a stipple job or SC. I had talon tape on my XD at one point and then pulled that off and stippled it. I like the feeling of both.

TTI stippling is typically rougher than everyone else's stippling, they do a great job. They would be the one if I was to lean towards stippling.

SC is like skateboard tape, much more rough than stippling especially if you choose a courser grit. It all comes down to your preference. 

On 10/5/2016 at 10:05 PM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

I personally think that finding the right stippling is all the difference. SC also looks terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that depends on who does the stippling.  I've seen some complete hack jobs of both.  The SC I've seen done by reputable companies (IE Zev) looks pretty good.  For OP, you should definitely put your hands on both prior to deciding.  I used to be pretty insistent on stippling for plastic guns, however for 9mm I use a factory frame unless it's extremely hot (sweaty hands) or raining these days.  For .40 I use a stippled frame, but I'm planning on SC for my next one. 

38 minutes ago, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Glock Prazision
Boresight Solutions
SSVI LLC
GNP Tactical

All do FLAWLESS stipple work. Nice and rough but won't rip you up either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They all do great work, but the price most of them charge for grip work is crazy expensive. I can't justify spending $300-$400 for grip work for a gun that is going to be used for 3 gun matches and possibly being dropped into a bin or onto a table. That's why for the price and quality of work, both TTI and Zev are my main choices.

On a side note I have chosen to the do the competition stipple job from TTI, I'll be sending in my G34 early next week.

Edited by mveto
edit text

1 hour ago, .45er said:

How is disability on the SC for those that use them?  I am on the fence of SC over just applying custom cut grip tape or skateboard tape. 

I don't believe there is any. It doesn't hinder anything and I shot my first match with the SC job and absolutely love it over the stippling. I had grip tape at first then did a stipple job and now SC and I do NOT regret going that route at all it's awesome!

2 minutes ago, .45er said:

dang autocorrect!!!  Should have been "how is durability" not disability :wacko:

hahah durability has been great so far I've shot with it a few weekends and shot the match this past weekend. If installed or done properly I don't see it coming off anytime.