Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited And Limited 10 Classifiers

Does anyone have any theories as to why Limited and Limited 10 cannot be the same classification? I've not shot a lot of classifiers, but all I have shot have either been 6 or 8 rounds, mandatory reload, and 6 or 8 more rounds. The magazine capacity would seem to be irrelevant. The only time I could see it making a difference is when there are poppers, and then only if you REALLY had trouble hitting the steel.

Aren't reloads w/a double stack gun (bigger mag well) generally a little quicker than with a single stack? 

Mine feel slightly faster, but I've never timed it.

L10 is not a single stack class. There are MANY L10 guns that have double stack mags.

This is a pet peeve of mine since I made M in L10 before Limited.

I wondered this to.... there really aren't many classifers that you have to shoot more than 10 in a string, that are commonly used in our area at least...

Limited-10 should be just a sub-category of Limited anyway. :ph34r:

(dons flame protective suit)

Ok, just kidding..... maybe.

Aren't reloads w/a double stack gun (bigger mag well) generally a little quicker than with a single stack? 

Mine feel slightly faster, but I've never timed it.

L10 is not a single stack class. There are MANY L10 guns that have double stack mags.

This is a pet peeve of mine since I made M in L10 before Limited.

I know it's not a single stack class. I shoot L10 w/my double stack, too. I shoot at 3 different clubs, and most if not all of the L10 guys use s/s 1911's.

Just offering a theory, at least for those classifiers that have mandatory reloads.

In the past (with the 99-xx series of classifers) the High Hit Factors (HHF's) for Limited-10 were exactly the same as the HHF's for Limited.

I'm not sure if that is the case with the newer series of classifiers (the 03-xx series).

You still had to shoot in both divisions...and get what you earned.

I had this discussion with the good folks at Sedro. The reason there are seperate classifications for Limited and Limited10 is pretty simple, they are two different divisions. I suppose that's kind of obvious? The rub comes in when folks get their shorts in a knot when someone downloads their Limited gun and shoots a class below their ability level. Such is life.

As for the hit factors being the same, there is a reason for that too. When Production, Limited10 and Revolver were initiated, they didn't have a database of scores to use for classification purposes (yeah I know that's obvious). So, USPSA based the HHF for the new divisions off of Limited. L10 is the same, Production 5% below that and Revolver 5% below Production. In theory, the HHF for each division will be recalculated when there are enough scores in the database to come up with reliable and valid hit factors. Of course, USPSA has been taking a lot of grief over the way they established the hit factors for the new divisions.

Now enters SSD. At least they got it right this time. Folks will just shoot their highest classification until the decision is made to keep or abandon the provisional division. Frankly, I think USPSA should be building a database of classifier scores for SSD for the next few years and if the division is a go, they can calculate the HHF from actual scores instead of guessing what they would be for 8 round magazines on those classifiers where capacity is an issue. Time will tell.

Now enters SSD. At least they got it right this time. Folks will just shoot their highest classification until the decision is made to keep or abandon the provisional division. Frankly, I think USPSA should be building a database of classifier scores for SSD for the next few years and if the division is a go, they can calculate the HHF from actual scores instead of guessing what they would be for 8 round magazines on those classifiers where capacity is an issue. Time will tell.

Short & Sweet - Plain & Simple...

In the past (with the 99-xx series of classifers) the High Hit Factors (HHF's) for Limited-10 were exactly the same as the HHF's for Limited.

I'm not sure if that is the case with the newer series of classifiers (the 03-xx series).

You still had to shoot in both divisions...and get what you earned.

Flex$,

A few random test with the classifier calculator shows that the 03 series is different from L to L-10 whereas 99-xx is not. I only tried a handfull.