Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627PC, 327 TRR8, or 929 for IPSC revolver

Stevenb

I'm looking at getting a revolver for IPSC, tossing up between a 627PC, 327 TRR8, or a 929. I've already got a 627 V-Comp (set up for open revolver). 

any recommendations between the 3? I'd be running 38 short colts in the 627 or 327.

I'd pick one caliber and stick with that. If you're already loading shorts, pick up a 627 and keep it simple. Shorts work fine in the 929, but it works the brass pretty good sizing back down. 

I would go with a TRR8, and short colt brass from starline. I would also have my revolver short stroked and trigger work done by Bruce Warren of BC Armory. Currently I have a 986 (9mm) that had his work done on it-I can't compliment him enough. The 929's (and 986's) seem to have many issues from the factory (including mine). Additionally, having handled and used both the short colt loads seem to load faster. While I love my 986 I intend to switch to the TRR8 with the above as describe as funds allow over the next year. 

Regarding any short stroke modifications....

We need to store a minimum amount of energy in the hammer to pop the primer. That energy is provided by the work we do with our trigger finger.

Work=Force × displacement

To complete the same amount of work with less trigger movement the trigger pull must necessarily be heavier.

I'm curious what the internal modifications would look like.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

For IPSC or USPSA? IPSC is still 6-shot only in revolver division isn't it? There's really only one 6-shot to consider.... The 625.

For IPSC. It looks like the change will be going ahead with the 6 major / 6+ minor. I would love a 625, but as I'm in Australia can't have anything over .38 for IPSC, so no 45ACP (can have 357 magnum though)

Edited by Stevenb

I am running a 327 m&p R8 currently.

i've got mij cylinder done to accept .38 super reloaded with an undersize die.

I've recently  reloaded 9mm brass on the same dies with .38 special bullets (.158 grain) and they ran flawless.

I shoot minor. This years vote on the ga for the new rule is probably going to be 6 Major and 7+minor on loading not shooting.

i shoot ipsc with it in the Netherlands. I think that the 929 needs to much werk when the come from the factory.

So beter an 627 or the 327 then the 929. And the shorter barrel better in balance with the gun.

Several friends purchased 929s that had timing or other action issues from the factory.

A local revolver tuning expert who worked my TRR8 said he has sent a number of 929s back to the factory for repair before he worked on them.

Right now my TRR8 is on it's way to S&W to have a titanium cylinder installed.

Several friends purchased 929s that had timing or other action issues from the factory.

A local revolver tuning expert who worked my TRR8 said he has sent a number of 929s back to the factory for repair before he worked on them.

Right now my TRR8 is on it's way to S&W to have a titanium cylinder installed.

What.. you can just send them to Smith and wesson and they put the parts you want on the gun? They sold you a separate ti cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bruce's action work decreases the length of the trigger pull drastically. Per my conversation with him, he decreases the stroke through a modification that ensures the hammer drops as soon as the action locks. I've handled about a half dozen guns with his short stroke work, along with an Apex gun and a few others, and I loved his the best, hands down. 

The New Ruger RedHawk in 45 ACP/LC has a 4.25 inch barrel and uses Moon Clips for 45 ACP. I just ran mine through its first IPSC match and I was very satisfied. It is perfectly balanced. I had been running a Smith 610 which has a 6.5 inch barrel. I found the balance of the 610 front heavy. 230 grain 45 ACP ammo through the Ruger is softer than either nine mil or forty cal. If/when IPSC goes 8 shot revolver minor I'll try using my wife's PC627 to see my score; but I do like my RedHawk! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...