Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI EDGE

phil plesetz

My wife surprised me for Christmas a few years ago with an Edge in 45 ACP. She didn't know what caliber to get and a friend suggested the 45. I was not shooting USPSA at that time mostly paper punching so I obviously had no complaints.

What is needed to convert it to a 40? Can I merely order an upper from STI and slide it on or is there way more to it?

Thanks, 

Phil

Shoot it Limited 10 and enjoy.  It is almost that time of year for the sell off, keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one here on Enos.  You conversion will cost about $1500 by the time you are done for very little more you can pickup a used gun.  

New slide fitted to frame along with barrel fitted to frame.  You might need a new extractor and ejector. 

Since USPSA is supposed to be 8 rounds per array and 45 does not really put you at a disadvantage.  A couple less rounds per mag.

Reload to the softest shooting load that still makes major.

Our club had a guy who shoots 45 limited and use to smoke almost everyone. 

Call a gunsmith and ask them how much to fit the slide and barrel.  Call Caspian for the slide~$250, BarSto for the barrel~$225

I bought an STI Eagle in .45, and was using it for Limited 10, but there are times I'm the only shooter at a match in that division. Last week I shot Limited, and was not at a terrible disadvantage. Using MBX 140MM mags, I could (barely) get 18 rounds in the first mag, and by chambering my Barney round, I start with 19 rounds. The next mags I went to 17 rounds, they are hard to seat with 18 on the run.

There was only one stage where I was at a point I needed 21 rounds instead of 19, but at my skill level, no big loss. I had a blast, and now will spend the winter in the frozen tundra figuring out which division to move to. There are discussions had on the forum many times on the differences between .45 and .40 and which one is better. I would say if you like the .45 stay with it, 

But, I think keeping the great gift your wife got you might also be a really smart move too, I kind of get why you might want to have a dual purpose pistol.............