Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hawley Custom G17 Open

eric nielsen

I'm going to shoot it at the local range tomorrow with Hirtenberger +P+ ammo and all my 9mm mags.

If the gun fires 300-400 rounds with no problems then the Dark Side might seduce me. Either way I'll bring it. Team Glock is gonna RO Stage 10 so I'd like to give them a sneak peak.

This gun rocks.

Give me about 1000 rds to get reacquainted with the noise and hand-slap of Open and I'll be messing up the local match standings bigtime.

It likes 8 to 8.5gr of HS6 better than anything else - troublefree 170pf.

3n37 - too much flameballs

SP2 - too much primer flow

I'll try Ramshot TrueBlue and Silhouette next but HS6 looks like the ticket.

This gun rocks.

Give me about 1000 rds to get reacquainted with the noise and hand-slap of Open and I'll be messing up the local match standings bigtime.

It likes 8 to 8.5gr of HS6 better than anything else - troublefree 170pf.

3n37 - too much flameballs

SP2 - too much primer flow

I'll try Ramshot TrueBlue and Silhouette next but HS6 looks like the ticket.

Cleanliness-wise... what's the story? Inquiring mind wants to know. :)

Beven Grams did the Doctor machining and sight bullet-proofing. Brian did the barrel and comp. With HS6 there was very little powder left over in the barrel, pretty clean.

The way I did costs about $1100 on your own Glock frame, another $100 for high-cap mags at 25 a pop. I'm happy with it so far. It is LOUD!!!

Anyone know where I can get grey or silver skateboard tape for the back of the slide?

I use 3M Outdoor Tread. I found it at a Home Depot. It can be located along with all the other types of tape in the paint section. I know that it comes in grey, but you'll have to check to see if your local HD carries that color.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of Brian's Glock comps seem to be like that. I've got the CGR tungsten rod in there now with a 15lb spring but I may put in my Novak steel rod and a little bit lighter spring. Both of them are G34/G35-length guide rods.

It keeps the comp from twisting off if the Loctite gives, which mine hasn't since I let it set 24 hours. There's a hole thru the bottom of the comp lug to put an Allen wrench on the comp's set screw - just like the slide's hole for a front sight.

Photos:

Hawley Custom Glocks

Update - the Novak doesn't fit but I've got lighter ISMI springs for the CGR.

Edited by eric nielsen

• 2 weeks later...

post-354-1119615346_thumb.jpg post-354-1119615409_thumb.jpg post-354-1119615491_thumb.jpg

Problems with the mis-cut Caspian FP hole have been fixed. Big thanks to John Nagel for calling and talking me through the modifications to the striker. 100% with CCI small rifle and FSP primers.

Last night I had my best practice session with ANY gun in about 5 or 6 years. I'd credit more disciplined dry-fire [thanks Steve Anderson], reliability and accuracy of the gun [thanks BrianH and John], last but not least the Triple Six drill courtesy of Max Michel. If you've never shot the drill, I highly recommend it because it got me to read and aim the gun at speed like nothing before has.

I REALLY like this gun now - shooting strong-hand-only groups of about 5 inches, one shot per second, at 25 yards, that's a big confidence booster. So is shooting all A's at 20 yards, 1-shot-per-second weak-hand-only. :blink::D

Shot my best match in a long time yesterday. Next time I'll squad myself with Paul and James to see where I'm losing [a little] ground to them. That was as good as I can shoot right now. Sticking with this gun till it falls apart or dies of old age.

All done with comparing - asking myself would this be better, would that be better. A lot of people decide they need a new gun [like a shorty instead of a 5"] because they pick up a different gun and notice that it's different. Last week I found that if I stick with one gun, one load, and just shoot, pretty soon everything looks normal - I know what this gun will do.

Now I find each target as fast as possible and just sort of have a strong desire for the dot to stay in a certain area as I shoot, and it does. I have no memory of the slide cycling or the dot jiggling or what the trigger felt like. I just shoot.

post-354-1119813835_thumb.jpg

Eric,

I must appologize. I did not even realize you were a BEer until after the match when Eric Stanley and I were having lunch. You stood up and introduced yourself as Eric and I did not even put 2 and 2 together. Nice shooting though. Would have liked for you to squad with us next time. I need the help focusing as I sem to be just going through the motion and it almost cost me the match yesterday. I had a few guys below your name asking who this eric N. guy was. LOL You got their attention!!

Thanks Paul. I had one D and one make-up on steel, no brain-fades. I'll have to step it up a notch to hang with you guys on your A-game.

Your club has some great people and fun stages. I saw May's match results with 21 open shooters and said "that's the place to be" in June. Shortest answer to who's that guy question is 'the skinny one with the Glock'.

It was great to meet you Eric, just don't let Paul see me talk to you about a DR. Glock I think he could tolerate, but I've been warned about the DR. sites. Everyone kinda drifted away, but if you make Titusville this weekend, w'ell all have to do lunch afterwards.

That was my first Open match and I had a blast even though I didn't get to shoot with you and Paul. Next time.....

Damn all this talk means I'm gonna have to start practicing again. I have been sooooo lazy lately. Ok I'm logging off so i can get some dry fire in. Looking forward to Saturday!!