Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger job by gunsmiths

Polymer

Debating whether to do my own work or send out stock 2 for a trigger job from someone more experienced.

Anyone have personal experience with either Jim Bodkin or Jim Jones? What was the outcome after the work? 

Appears that Bodkin modifies most of the stock parts with his trigger job, whereas Jones installs all xtreme parts and then custom fits everything. 

Easy decision... Do it yourself. A little patience, And a few bux in parts you're good to go.

CGW: Canik trigger pin, CZ return spring, CZ reduced power sear spring, CZ firing pin return spring (short one) for the plunger under the trigger bar.

Patriot Defense: extreme sear, titan hammer, bolo disconnector, hammer spring of you choice (13lbs for me for factory ammo), and return spring of choice (10lbs for me seems to work alright).

I use a Henning firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring.

Polish trigger bar and plunger.

My trigger feels excellent. As good as my 1911 in single action (or better) and double action has no stack and feels pretty good. 

Just takes some patience and some time.

Edited by ryridesmotox

3 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

My CZ guide will give you a good start and the Enos hive mind will get you the rest of the way!

I've been studying that quite a bit. Thanks for the effort you put into that thread.

3 hours ago, ARy said:

With Kneeling Atlas' guide and Patriot Defense bolo and springs, you can now tune your gun just as good or better than a gunsmith, yourself. It's very easy. 

I will say though, most issues in fitment with the bolo have come due to a certain gunsmith using unconventional hacks to tune tanfos... 

The aftermarket parts are now available... you can tune a tanfo by yourself. 

Thanks. I have been following up on your bolo discussion and recommendations. I know the bolo will not work with gunsmith hacks like you mentioned from talking to several.

I do my own, and guns of friends.  The problem that can and frequently does occur with these things is being limited to using one brand and model of primer, i.e. Federal 200s.  Think about that.  You may face the need to buy huge quantities of one type of primer, and otherwise be screwed if they aren't available.  My guns set off all primers, so if my primer cache gets low, I can buy any primer available at any time and keep shooting.

The DIY path.   easy choice. Call Patriot Defense up and get a full kit.

As to primers, that's not a worry...if you DIY. You will KNOW what to change to allow for the primers you can get. If you don't diy, you could be screwed if you get a run of hard primers.

The parts that control ignition (after an upgrade and through polish) are the hammer and firing pin return springs.  i can swap both in about 5 minutes.  15 bucks a set.  i have sets that give 4.0# da, sets that can set off SB primers and sets that set off Wolf primers.  But those sets have higher DA! Lol, much higher...yet waaay lighter than the as delivered gun.

If you want the lightest trigger, use PD 10 but you will be federal match only (can be winchester with a good polish). The 12 will set off most all good ammo and be easy  sub 6# da.   PD14 (with full upgrade parts n polish) will set off all but the hardest of the hard and will be around 6 da.  i do need to use factory force springs to reliably set off Wolf primers as they are harder than a prom night pecker!

I'm going the diy route. I've been reading on here as much as I can, talked to a fellow tanfo shooter at local match, and patriot defense. PD really helped me on spring selection, great company.

Question, why are people choosing the xtreme firing pin over the gen 5 henning? Both need the extended firing pin safety block correct?

Edited by Polymer

You're going to need the extended firing pin either way. I have tried with the Henning gen5 and the stock pin and with the setup I have, the stock block doesn't work. I believe it has more to do with the sear than anything else for me. The Henning 5 worked with the stock block when my gun was stock. After I put the extreme sear, it seemed that the FPB wouldn't work anymore. Which makes sense I guess... Extreme sear and extreme firing pin block should probably be ordered at the same time... Along with the titan hammer

Edited by ryridesmotox

11 hours ago, Polymer said:

Question, why are people choosing the xtreme firing pin over the gen 5 henning? Both need the extended firing pin safety block correct?

The Henning is light. The EG pin is intended to be heavy. Both are extended compared to the factory one.

A few people in this forum who have done the pencil test (stick a pencil in the barrel so the pin strikes the eraser and see how high it launches) have found the EG pin to have more oomph behind it. That's a good thing with CCI primers, or harder.

33 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The Henning is light. The EG pin is intended to be heavy. Both are extended compared to the factory one.

A few people in this forum who have done the pencil test (stick a pencil in the barrel so the pin strikes the eraser and see how high it launches) have found the EG pin to have more oomph behind it. That's a good thing with CCI primers, or harder.e

This old browser won't let me reply w a quote. Grrrrr

Anyway, MM is exactly correct.  the EG is heavier and launches pencils higher.  I've proven that to myself conclusively.  but... I do not know if that translates to more reliable ignition.  Both need the extended FPB, when using the titan hammer.