the Lord") to "Common Era." The terms B.C. and A.D., despite common usage

for close to 2,005 years, are now seen as being offensive to non-

Christians. While normally I would be sensitive to religious sensitivities,

this latest push by politically correct historians and educators has reached

historic proportions. In my home state which is already financially

troubled, the state Department of Education recalled nearly 53,000 high

school diplomas because the documents had the term A.D. on them. FYI, in a

protest to this political correct example of common sense gone AWOL I

suggest everyone, Christians and non-Christians alike, write the term A.D.

on every check and piece of paper you write the date. I think these P.C.

advocates will be surprised how few

people are actually offended by the terms A.D. and B.C. and are more

offended by historians and educators who want to rewrite history.

For me it ain't about PC-ness, it's about what I choose to believe. Yeah, I use CE and BCE, but could give a flying fork about anyone else using it. Government intervention of this sort is BS all-around. My motto is and always will be: "F@ck PC!"

Well, excuse my ignorance, but I thought the "normal, everyday use" calendar was based on the existance of Jesus Christ. If those politically correct types are so devoted to their political correctness then they should come up with a new, religiously neutral landmark to measure time. Of course this would represent a gigantic PITA for everyone and nobody would seriously consider the idea of changing the calendar. So they take the easy, hypocritical way and just try to hide the landmark that gave origin to the calendar. No thanks, not for me. I'm not a christian, but I have never been offended by using the christian calendar, it would be the same to me if the calendar would have been muslim, or hebrew, or whatever.

Well not exactly. The Julian, or, Roman calendar is pretty much what we go by and that predate Jesus. It drifted slightly every 128 years and the Current Gregorian, or 'New' calendar was adopted in 1582 to adjust leap years. AD refered Anno Diocletiani, the Roman Emperor Diocletian until about 525 AD.

From Wikipedia:

In addition to consular years, the Romans sometimes used the regnal year of the emperor. Anno Diocletiani, named after Diocletian, was often used by the Alexandrian Christians to number their Easters during the fourth and fifth centuries. In AD 537, Justinian required that henceforth the date must include the name of the emperor, in addition to the indiction and the consul (the latter ending only four years later). The indiction caused the Byzantine year to begin on 1 September. In AD 525 Dionysius Exiguus proposed the system of anno Domini, which gradually spread through the western Christian world, once the system was adopted by Bede. Years were numbered from the supposed date of the incarnation or annunciation of Jesus on 25 March, although this soon changed to Christmas, then back to Annunciation Day in Britain, and the numbered year even began on Easter in France.

Anno Domini was the PC thing to do when the empire was in decline and the pope was ascending. I am not sure which is worse, Politically Correct or Religiously Correct. Thank God for the Second Amendment! :D

What I hate is the lack of logic. You change the term, but what date/event is still used as the starting date? If you are going to change to C. E. then you need to come up with a new starting point.