Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best deal on a case feeder for my XL650?

25 minutes ago, anbrumm said:

I would say the 80 that they list is a safety type number. I load 200-250 cases in my feeder at a time, and have not had any issues. 

I generally run 400 9mm without issue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I generally run 400 9mm without issue

Now that is what I was hoping to hear! Did you have to adjust your clutch to run that much of a load. How long have you been running it that hard?

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

Just now, anbrumm said:

I have not touched the clutch.

Me neither but I did overload it last week, motor spinning but no brass moving.  I'm now loading about 200 in the hopper, more than that and it just spins the clutch.

Without an automated press, it is easy to just toss in a few hundred every other time you add primers.

2 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Me neither but I did overload it last week, motor spinning but no brass moving.  I'm now loading about 200 in the hopper, more than that and it just spins the clutch.

Without an automated press, it is easy to just toss in a few hundred every other time you add primers.

I have overloaded mine in the past. Only times I have done it is when processing brass to de-prime before tumbling, put too many in at once.

1 minute ago, anbrumm said:

I have overloaded mine in the past. Only times I have done it is when processing brass to de-prime before tumbling, put too many in at once.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch to see if that would resolve the issue?

6 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

1 minute ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Have you tried adjusting the clutch to see if that would resolve the issue?

No, I just put less brass in the hopper. I don't want to adjust the clutch too much, I have had a caught case before, and the clutch did what it was supposed to by letting the motor keep spinning without spinning the plate. I can take a few less pieces of brass for piece of mind that I am not going to burn up a motor. You have to stop to refill primers. That is a good time to add more cases and clear out the finished rounds.

2 minutes ago, anbrumm said:

No, I just put less brass in the hopper. I don't want to adjust the clutch too much, I have had a caught case before, and the clutch did what it was supposed to by letting the motor keep spinning without spinning the plate. I can take a few less pieces of brass for piece of mind that I am not going to burn up a motor. You have to stop to refill primers. That is a good time to add more cases and clear out the finished rounds.

You are correct and I'm not wanting to circumvent built in safety features, just want to be aware if it's limits. 80 just sounded a little light, it's not even through a tube of primers and your out of brass...

Thx!

12 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Now that is what I was hoping to hear! Did you have to adjust your clutch to run that much of a load. How long have you been running it that hard?

Just like every thing we use or so in reloading, YMMV. BUT, I have never adjusted my clutch, and I have run mine that hard from day one sometime in early 2010 I think.

I have seen, read, heard the 400 range mentioned many times . 

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Just like every thing we use or so in reloading, YMMV. BUT, I have never adjusted my clutch, and I have run mine that hard from day one sometime in early 2010 I think.

I have seen, read, heard the 400 range mentioned many times . 

Thanks Top!

1 hour ago, anbrumm said:

I would say the 80 that they list is a safety type number. I load 200-250 cases in my feeder at a time, and have not had any issues. 

Thank you! So it is some type of friction clutch and apparently not gears so not likely to break anything getting use to it..?

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Thank you! So it is some type of friction clutch and apparently not gears so not likely to break anything getting use to it..?

Yes, friction drives the plate, but it is adjustable.

17 hours ago, mscott said:

I use a small coffee can filled with brass to load the case feeder. Guessing there are 200+ in a full can and has worked well for quite a few years. Just use it as a scoop out of the 5 gal. bucket.

I stabilized the CF, bolted the table to the wall and the floor and only had one upside down case today out of 600. With these modifications was able to run the case feeder with about 250-300 today so making good progress.